LCD advice for those stuck with analogue feed

Big-E 12:01 23 Aug 06

Hi - I wondered if anyone can help me?

I'm looking to buy a 32" or 37" flatscreen tv (LCD or Plasma). I have a subscription to NTL and can only get analogue cable feed. NTL refuse to upgrade the part of London I live in. Additionally, I have no external aerial so freeview is out of the question.

I've decided that until I move house and get true digital tv feed, there's no point in buying a expensive panel. I have also crossed Homechoice off my list of options. Can anyone recommend a 32" or 37" tv that wouldnt look too bad with my NTL analogue input. I'd like to spend less than £1200 if poss.

All advice welcomed! Thanks....

Stuartli 12:51 23 Aug 06

You can buy an analogue/digital Toshiba 37in with Freeview built-in and HD ready for around £1,200 or less.

This will offer future proofing for when you move. See:

click here

Stuartli 12:52 23 Aug 06

The Samsung models are also worth investigating.

anskyber 12:56 23 Aug 06

I agree and support Stuartli's suggestions. The Samsung panels are I think made in the same factory as Sony panels as part of a joint venture.

Big-E 15:18 23 Aug 06

Thanks guys. I was a little worried that analogue tv feed wouldnt look v good on HDTV or that maybe I was better off getting a plasma rather than a LCD. Is there a winner when showing analogue telly?

Stuartli 18:53 23 Aug 06

You can't just display HD - you have to have the right box and cables plus an HD service.

See:

click here

Big-E 09:36 24 Aug 06

Stuart - I know I'll need a HD box etc but that isnt going to happen unfortunately.What I'm wondering is will images on my LCD will look poor if I only have analogue cable TV(NTL)? ie- can HD LCD tvs still perform to a high standard with only an analogue input.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Stuartli 10:11 24 Aug 06

The best way to find out is to visit a local TV shop and see various manufacturers' LCD or plasma sets working on an analogue aerial input.

Big-E 10:17 24 Aug 06

Ok. Why aerial input?

Stuartli 13:55 24 Aug 06

Well I doubt if the shop will have Ntl or Telewest services..:-)

In any case the standard aerial input will also deliver Freeview digital transmissions (these are converted back to analogue by a normal set top box and, presumably, an integrated version); if you have a digital TV, however, you will see a digital display from the Freeview signals.

Nicam sound is digital in any case.

Big-E 12:04 25 Aug 06

Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…