The law and copying CD's

Bapou 22:43 17 Nov 03

I was at a computer club tonight and someone produced a print out of a revision to the law regarding copying audio CD's.This supposedly comes into effect at the end of year.

"you are no longer permitted to make a copy of an audio CD as a back up in the event of damage etc. etc."

I thought, officially this has always been the case but producers would turn a blind eye as long as that's all anyone did.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:46 17 Nov 03

You have NEVER been legally allowed to copy,lend, hire or sell a CD, or anything that has been copyrighted, even for backup purposes.....in the UK.

In the States you are allowed to keep a backup copy of a CD/programme. the backup has to be destroyed if you sell the original.

G

cycoze 23:47 17 Nov 03

have a look click here for a brief view and for the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 click here .

Bapou 11:06 18 Nov 03

Thanks both, basically it's as I thought. This rule has always been there.

cycoze, you certainly have to dig deep into the legalese. I'd need a solicitor with me should I try and argue my point at the club.

Stuartli 15:18 18 Nov 03

If everyone was arrested who undertook such a horrendous crime thousands of new prisons would have to be built.

When you buy a CD, video, DVD etc you have, to my mind, paid all your dues in full and music companies should not attempt to restrain any form of backup for personal use.

It's an invasion of personal rights and should be exposed as such.

Even more hypocritical is that companies such as Sony sell music CDS, claim copyright, and then another of its divisions manufactures and distributes the very hardware that allows you to copy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…