//some 3rd party need geo

Laser printer needs replacing

Chris the Ancient 20:49 19 Sep 04

I have a rather well-used Brother HL-1450 laser printer which is so clapped out, I'm going to replace it.

The most annoying thing with this machine was the drum life. After a few refills of toner, it insisted (quite rightly - because it's getting quite 'claggy') that the drum is replaced!

With the newer Brother HL-1430, the toner and drum unit comes out at about the same price as the whole flipping printer! And this seems fairly standard across the range of laser printers. Tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to get a new 1430 because it is on a special offer for just two days and is so darned cheap. My old 1450 was solid and reliable, but has just worn out.

I've googled around the net (with not a lot of success) and I've been wondering if there is any form of d.i.y. drum refurbishing. I've used CartridgeWorld up until now as being not too expensive, but the last drum has been a bit iffy (very weak and pale) ever since I installed it. If there was a d.i.y. method, I could cut CartridgeWorld completely out of the loop!

Anyone heard of that possibility? It might cut down on my running expenses.

TIA

Chris

Diodorus Siculus 21:54 19 Sep 04

You must do a lot of printing... Viking Direct sell compatible laser drums for the HP machines in a friend's office and they are pretty good.

Chris the Ancient 22:09 19 Sep 04

Yup!

My wife and I both have small self-employed businesses - and mine does use quite a bit of paper.

The biggest problem with the current 1450 sounds like it's in the fusing unit. It really creaks and groans. A look at the picture in the 'How to Pull it Apart' guide shows that the unit is not one I'm going to play with. It's got far too many fiddly little bits and springs. And we all know what happens when you have springs involved!

And, dammit, a replacement machine with all bits in is just so much cheaper than getting it sorted! Not environmentally friendly and all that sort of stuff - but logical on limited budget grounds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…