Large retailer won't replace broken door.

ened 16:03 03 Mar 11

Before I complain to trading standards I would like some opinions as to if I have a legitimate case:

Nov. 2008 I purchased a Microwave from a notorious large retailer.

Within a few weeks the door had cracked. First of all I was told I must have bashed it because: " they never break"! Then I managed to get them to replace it and when the engineer turned up he revealed that they are always going and he changes loads of them.

It went again in September of that year.

I spoke to the manager and he agreed that if the second one cracked (this time they changed the whole door - the first time just the outer skin) he would see about a replacement product.

This time it lasted a bit longer but I had to go back to the store last November (24 months after original purchase) and the manager said he would get back to me. He didn't. I went back about three weeks ago and he said he would get back to me. He didn't so I wrote to their head office.

They have just replied saying words to the effect : tough the manufacturers warranty has expired and we will repair it but we will charge you.

I know that goods are expected to last a reasonable time even without the history. I would have expected them to at least repair it.

Am I being reasonable or should I just write it off and put it down to experience?

961 16:21 03 Mar 11

Just a few general thoughts

First, I think it depends on how much you paid. I've bought microwaves at all sorts of prices. Some have lasted for yonks, some for just a couple of years. It's generally the magnetron that goes but other bits, including the door and its fixings can go wrong or fail

Your dates are not clear. When you say the door was replaced in September, do you mean 2009?

You do not say what the problem was in November (2010?) but I assume it was again with the door

What I would suggest is that you trawl the internet to see if you can establish if there is an inherent fault with the door on this particular microwave. If you can establish that there is, it may be worth writing to the manufacturer to see if they are prepared to help as a matter of goodwill, either with a contribution to the repair, or an allowance against a new microwave

Off the top of my head without knowing all the facts I'd say the retailer has probably gone as far as he is going to go, notorious or not

ened 16:29 03 Mar 11

Nov. 2008 Purchased Microwave and other stuff after house move.

Feb 2009 First door replaced

Oct 2009

ened 16:30 03 Mar 11

Oct 2009 Door replaced for second time

September 2010

amonra 16:31 03 Mar 11

Depends on which model MWave you have, but sometimes it aint worth the hassle of arguing with your retailer. Why get wound up. M/Waves are so cheap now it may be worth dumping the old one on the cash-point of the retailer and let him dispose of it and buy a new one.

ened 16:38 03 Mar 11

September 2010 Door cracked.

I wasn't going to bother but everytime you shut the door the insides all vibrate and it is very off-putting.

November 2010 Went into the store

Again three weeks ago.

The manufacturer is Panasonic and I will see what they have to say, but in my opinion, and given that the integrity of the door is vital for safety, two years is not a very long time and I want them (the store) to replace it.

Is that a reasonable expectation?

proudfoot 17:00 03 Mar 11

I returned a microwave to the store, I did have the receipt (I keep all my receipts where there is a possibility of a failure) because it started causing radio interference to all my household radios.
It must have developed a fault in the RF seal somewhere.
Replaced no problem.

woody 17:04 03 Mar 11

You have already spent more time than i would on this case.
Two year old MW - new one £30 or so - life is to short - buy a new one.

ened 17:29 03 Mar 11

It wasn't cheap because it is a combi and it is the only thing we have to cook with.

961 17:49 03 Mar 11

Write to Panasonic

The store is most unlikely to replace but has offered to repair. However if this is an inherent fault ("engineer revealed that they are always going and he changes loads of them") you are just going to have the same again 6 months down the line

See if you can get the manufacturer to offer a goodwill voucher against a new different model

Woolwell 18:08 03 Mar 11

I've had a Panasonic combi Microwave for about 10 years if not more and it hasn't missed a beat. Door has been fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…