# Interface:
# 1 VGA port
# 3 USB 2.0 ports
# 1 RJ 11 modem connector
# 1 RJ 45 Ethernet connector
# S-video TV out
# 1 Headphone-out, 1 mic-in

Hewlett Packard Pavilion GZ974EA

Can anyone tell me if there is anything better that is available in a hurry! I know that Dell deals are available but there is a 3 week turn around at the moment.

Also, are there any shortcomings in the above that would make it unsuitable for a student - not into gaming but she will want it for course work, DVDs, music and so forth.

Thanks as always, Dio

Crash 13:59 11 Nov 07

No that seems perfect for her needs, go for it!

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 11 Nov 07

"No that seems perfect for her needs, go for it!"

Cheers for that - probably will order later today.

Cheers, Dio

Crash 14:09 11 Nov 07

No prob! Had a look around a couple of stores on the net and none could match that spec for the money. Good deal!

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 11 Nov 07

click here for one I've just found... any better?

Cheers, Dio

Diodorus Siculus 19:54 11 Nov 07

Less RAM, smaller hdd but what of the processor?

Totally-braindead 20:04 11 Nov 07

You'd be better off with the HP just because it has more memory, you really need 1 gig free and clear with Vista the Acer has shared graphics and the removal of 256 mb for the graphics leaving you 768 mb for the laptop will make a difference.

The Acer also uses 2 x 512mb so if you did want to add more memory you would have to remove one or both of the memory chips you already have.

The HP looks better to me and for the increase in disk size and the memory its worth the extra.
Not sure about the processor aspect of it though.

Crash 21:24 11 Nov 07

Agree with Totally-braindead go for the HP one you won't regret it. With its bigger hard drive she will be able to fill it up with lots more music and stuff and the 2gb ram will make everything run smoothly! I ran vista with 1gb ram with dedicated graphics and it wasn't a happy experience so definitely go for the hp.

Crash 21:27 11 Nov 07

If your really looking an acer then for £399 you can get this click here but i'd still go for the hp one

Diodorus Siculus 02:52 12 Nov 07

Thanks for all those; I've gone for the HP from play.com - will be more than adequate for what it will be used for.

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers, Dio

Taz1 13:52 12 Nov 07

Help please I am not very good with Laptops and know very little about them. Having damaged my wife's two and half years’ old laptop a Samsung M40TJ0M6R. I have made a claim for her to have a new one via the insurance company. The company have agreed and offered a HP Compaq Business laptop 6820S as a replacement. They say it compares well with the Samsung which cost about £1300.00. The HP will cost the company about £760.00. A lot less. Is the HP make any good? Is it a better laptop than the Samsung or are the insurance company trying it on and passing off an inferior laptop? Any advice on would be most helpful. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac