Laptops, wireless, home network

rshacks 08:40 30 Oct 05

I'm thinking about trading in my one computer for two laptops (one each) - which will hopefully also allow me to lose wires from the printer, scanner and so on. I currently get internet access from a cable modem. Questions: 1. Will a wireless set allow me to hook into that and use laptops around the house etc?
2. Will I still be able to use my "old" scanner (HP Colorpage HR7X)and printer (HP Deskjet 3845)?
3. What should I be looking for when I buy the laptops - wireless modems? bluetooth? huh?
4. Is there somewhere where I can get this sort of mentoring advice on an ongoing basis?
Thanks
Richard (rshacks) Shackleton

pauldonovan 14:28 03 Nov 05

1. I presume your cable modem has an 'ethernet port' on it? If so you can buy a wireless router but don't get an ADSL one, get one that you can plug into a cable modem like...

click here

2. You will be able to use them connected to your laptop (as long as they have the appropriate connections). Wireless replaces your network connection, it doesn't mean you lose all wires. You can get routers that have USB ports for printers, but I don't think you'll be losing the scanner wire any time soon (unless there's a product i'm not aware of!)

3. The wireless standards that you are likely to want to use are things like 802.11b/802.11g. Most new laptops are WiFi/Wireless enabled (built-in) and so will probably have these capabilities built-in. Don't worry about Bluetooth so much, although it does no harm to have that also.

4. yes - Here! Or look out for PC magazines with guides on going wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…