Laptops Direct admin charges advice needed

quickly 20:02 02 Aug 06

Hi,
I purchased an Acer Desktop from Laptops Direct around 14 days ago.

The machine worked fine but the hardrive was very noisy (Seagate) so I contacted them got an RMA number and the computer was collected.

I have now had a refund minus my original shipping cost/card fee,an admin fee of £10.17 plus a charge of £49 for a restore.

The machine was returned in mint condition with all the original packing/no software opened and I made sure that I restored it to its factory defaults so I wouldn't incour the £49 charge.

I've lost £90 and not sure how to proceed.Several emails have gone unawnswered and getting through by phone is nigh on impossible !

Cheers,
Paul

xania 15:42 03 Aug 06

Letter to Managing Director, by name warning Small Claims court if full refund not received in 14 days, then

click here

spuds 23:15 03 Aug 06

Charging a restocking fee is illegal, under consumer law. Using the title of 'Restore', could mean anything, and I would suggest that you find out what the retailer actually means by this term. The same thing applies about making an administration charge.

If the item appeared to be faulty, due to it making a noise, then possibly a failure of parts was in the making. If this was the case, then a full refund, replacement or repair was available for you to choose. If you chose to send the product back, because you no longer wanted that particular model or unit,and it was not declared as faulty, then that would be a different matter.

Contact click here for further advice. You may also find these leaflets interesting click here

packettracer 08:50 04 Aug 06

You have rights do as others have said and may be this as well. Good luck and please let us all know how you get on!

Contact the BBC's consumer section on this, more info at click here
Or wtite to BBC Watchdog at BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS

dontmeshwithme 09:46 04 Aug 06

If you used your credit card, see if they can help, ask them to put the charge into dispute, whilst you await a full refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…