laptops - confused?

poppy 13:28 05 Jan 05

Hi there, I need to buy a new laptop only i'm a little spoilt for choice so I'd really appreciate some advice... It will mainly be used for pictures, net, dvd's & cd's. Obviously I want something reliable, good memory and as it stands, I'm really liking the look of widescreens and what Sony has to offer but I'd want all this for under £800 - I've seen a few that look ok so could someone please tell me if they would be any good? Also, what software usually comes with them and what's the difference between Sempron, Celeron, Athlon, Pentium & Centrino????

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

TomJerry 13:47 05 Jan 05

you do not need to know all those silly things such as Sempron, Celeron, Athlon, Pentium & Centrino

Only small problem with Sony: it is not very good for playing any demanding games. It will not be able to copy someting like Doom 3 or half life 2

Urotsukidoji 13:53 05 Jan 05

not that anyone should be copying games......

lol

TomJerry 13:54 05 Jan 05

sorry for wrong spelling

poppy 14:02 05 Jan 05

lol @ silly thing's - yep I am finding it all a bit naff really but thanks for that, I was thinking of that sony aswell and gaming means nothing to me so that's fine but would it come with the basics such as outlook etc. also, would I get a better price elsewhere?

TomJerry 14:06 05 Jan 05

it will have Outlook express, but not outlook

if you want extra software, you can check one currently on sale at Aldi which some with Microsoft Work 2004 (a office package) cost £699.

what software you need?

poppy 14:11 05 Jan 05

I've heard bad reports about these supermarket places but software wise then just word, some picture editing thingy, dvd/cd copying programme and deffo a very good virus thing. :)

TomJerry 14:12 05 Jan 05

Works 7, Norton Int. Security

TomJerry 14:15 05 Jan 05

just check other places, all come around £1000, so PCWorld price is great.

Works will do basic wordprocessing. If you really need want word, Microsoft Office 2003 student version cost less than £100. You can get the student version, if anyone in you family is a student.

poppy 15:01 05 Jan 05

Thanks for looking and yep it does seem very good but I can't have it anyway because it's temp out of stock and I haven't even got the prod. code or anything now because the page won't display anymore and I can't find it on the site. :(

Snow_Spy 19:35 05 Jan 05

Any idea's of which I could go for next??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…