Laptops

metropolas 12:08 27 Jan 05

Hi :)

My wife is disabled and I want to get her a laptop computer, to help her to connect to the outside world again.

Just wondered what everyone thought of the acer aspire 1511LMi - has the new athlon 64 chip, I believe. Or does anyone have any other idea's as to what is a good budget laptop (under £1000).

James

Maverick81 12:23 27 Jan 05

Checkout these notebook vendors for offers

click here
click here
click here

Stuartli 13:08 27 Jan 05

Or key in Secondhand/Used Laptops into google and get one even cheaper.

A good source my family have used for new and pre-used laptops, plus spares and accessories for a range of models, is:

click here

Stuartli 13:10 27 Jan 05

More examples at: click here

wiz-king 13:41 27 Jan 05

What is your wife's disability? In some ways laptops are not the easiest things to use. They are heavy and burn your knees if you have the on your lap and work them hard, the mousepad is a pain if your finger movement is stiff and battery life is still a problem with some models. My mother in law has a problem with her arms and could not lift one, she can manage a wireless keyboard though. At least with a fixed instalation you can put most of the wires out of the way.

Stuartli 13:50 27 Jan 05

That reminds me of the recent newspaper headline: "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Firewire", which referred to the alleged dangers of using a laptop on your lap...:-)

metropolas 14:02 27 Jan 05

Michelle has ME/Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia. The ME/Chronic Fatigue I'm sure most people have heard of by now. The Fibromyalgia, in very simple terms, is a VERY painful form of arthritis - imagine every muscle in your body going into spasm, including the muscles behind your eyes! Virtually bed-ridden at the mo - hence a replacement desktop not an option. However, never thought about a wireless keyboard. How reliable are they? Any glitches - typing what you want to do, and it not doing it.

The laptop was going to sit on a portable bed table, or so I envisaged.

I'm not technically minded and I confess I don't really know the difference between the various processors on offer - Sempron, 64 bit, etc. Basically, all Michelle really wants to do is to surf the web, chat, write stuff, nothing major. Perhaps I should have asked the question, what requirements, rather than what laptop.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far :)

James

Stuartli 14:16 27 Jan 05

If that's the case, then a straightforward pre-used model from about a year back will more than suffice.

Using a wireless mouse and keyboard is very straightforward, but a laptop I've used recently only had a PS/2 mouse socket; presumably the manufacturer felt some people might still prefer a corded or wireless mouse and that a keyboard socket was not necessary.

wiz-king 15:28 27 Jan 05

She might want to use voice control, if you look at IBMs Via Voice software, I think you can use it not only for typing documents but to control the pc by spoken comands. It takes a bit of training to get it used to a voice but not too long. I'm sure that Dragon also made voice recognition software but I think they have changed name. I found that it was easier to use a mixture of voice and keyboard. Ask around and someone might know of other progs that might be useful.

TomJerry 15:32 27 Jan 05

in my view, it is better to get a laptop with Intel Centrino processor becuase (1) ys generates less heat (2) it consumer less power so battery can run longer (3) laptops with Centrino are lighter (normally 2.7Kg for 15" model, and 14" model 2.3kg) (4) it got wireless network capability build-in

Acer is THE largest laptop maker in the world, it makes laptop for many famous brands

I think AMD 64 may not be suitable for your purpose. They are powerful, but noise and bulk.

check out Systemax TourBook® 5250 click here which got many good reviews

wee eddie 15:42 27 Jan 05

Place the VDU where you will. A TFT is very light.

Keyboard & Optical Mouse - both wireless. Again very light, combined with Via Voice or similar would give her control of her PC that is light, mobile and almost indistinguishable from a Desktop setup,

Laptop keyboards are tiny, their cursor control difficult (many users carry a mouse in their bag) and there is a temptation to place the base on a soft surface which may restrict the cooling airflow.

Also, regardless of the drop in price of Laptops you get much better Processing Power per £ with a PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced