Laptop for under £300 ?

Belatucadrus 00:12 24 May 03

So the Thais love Linux laptops, click here at that price bring em on, I'm willing to give it a go.

Forum Editor 08:18 24 May 03

you won't be seeing these machines on the UK market.

This is a brave attempt by the Thai government, initially in partnership with Hewlett Packard, aimed at raising the IT literacy level in the population. I for one applaud their move; I have clients in Thailand, and so I go there fairly often on business. I'm always struck by the fact that there are so few ordinary people with computers - because they can't afford to buy them. This initiative is an attempt to address that, and I hope it's a great success. I'm afraid that it will almost certainly lead to an increase in software piracy (if that's possible) in Thailand, as most people will immediately set about getting hold of a pirate copy of Windows XP to install on their new laptop.

If my instinct is right the Thai government Information ministry - which has bravely agreed to handle the support side of this project - will be absolutely swamped with support calls, and will not be able to cope, so if anyone fancies setting up a help forum for Linux in Bangkok, now's your chance for fame and glory. There's just one'll have to learn to speak Thai.

Belatucadrus 11:04 24 May 03

It's a pity that Tony Blair and his " Education education education " crew can't come up with something similar. I seem to remember they claimed a similar desire to broaden IT accessibility and literacy. I doubt HP would be interested, the affect on their share of the existing UK laptop market would not help their cash flow .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…