Laptop Shopping - whats your thinking here?

Sir Radfordin™ 12:24 06 May 03

Am looking at a laptop:

click here
which for those too lazy to click the link is a SONY VAIO VX71P PIII 850A 14.1TFT ext DVD/CDRW XPP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this model?

Before you suggest anything else please remember the following:

Can't spent more than £1000 (incl VAT)

Must not weigh more than 2.4kg

Is going to mainly used for Office (XP) and must have XP Pro as the OS.

Anyone have any experience of dealing with Technoworld?

accord 15:09 06 May 03

bought a sony vaio laptop nearly 3 years ago. it was a celeron 466 with 64mb ram 6gb hd. found it VERY well made and reliable and only had to reformat once after installing zonealarms which corrupted the drive. sold it recently for £200. would definately recommend sony vaio to anyone.

wee eddie 15:57 06 May 03

to have it delivered with extra RAM. 256 is the recommended with XP Pro and now is the best time to do it. I have 256mg and extra would help as some is lost to the graphics.

Gorillaz 17:29 06 May 03

Bought a Sony GRZ from Technoworld in February, service from them was really good, laptop delivered when they aid it would be, found they also offered the best deal as well. Sony have also given me really good service, had a problem with one of the keys coming loose, Sony collected on Monday and returned on Wednesday. Hope this helps

Sir Radfordin™ 00:19 07 May 03

Agree on the memory front, would have liked to get a bit more than 256 in there but it can't always be done when working to a budget.

Gorillaz, thats good to know about Sony. Have already bought one Sony laptop this year for someone else and didn't have any problems with it. They have a reputation to maintain and seem to want to do so.

wee eddie 12:22 07 May 03

Not a lot but it may be enough, and fitted before dispatch. therefor covered by Warranty as well.

Maybe you'll win the Lottery as well

Tenner 18:24 07 May 03

Quick check with copernic and Kelkoo(was feeling a bit lazy, you understand ) and it seems an excellent price - ( from bitter experience couldn't recommend IBM Thinkpad , avoid )

Regards

Sir Radfordin™ 19:06 07 May 03

Thought it was a very good price!

Interesting about the Thinkpad there, this is going to be bought to replace an Thinkpad 240. It has been one of the best computers I've known. Never had a single problem with it. The first one was DOA and swapped next day. It has lasted about 5 years and NEVER had a rebuild! Its only Win98 as well! It is used 8-9 hours a day and solid as they come!

Stuartli 20:14 07 May 03

To boost your available cash worth have a look at click here which sells both new and nearly new laptops of the majority of brands at very competitive prices; it also stocks a vast range of accessories and spares etc.

My daughter bought a Toshiba Satellite model from them which was under a year old and carried the balance of the three year warranty; it cost under £800 for what was a model that cost virtually double that originally.

The screen gave problems after about a year and Toshiba met both the cost of the new screen and labour charges under the warranty without quibble.

Tenner 00:21 08 May 03

This is the problem with personal 'advice' - one experience doesn't make an expert or a 'cut'n dried case' I'm pepared on reflection to admit mine was a bit of a rogue/one off. Just wish I'd bought the Sony.

Stuartli ! You're back!

Regards

Sir Radfordin™ 13:48 09 May 03

Have just been informed the person looking to buy this laptop has done so, and it arrived this morning. Since I know for a fact it would not have been ordered before Tuesday thats pretty good going. Lets hope its as good as it claims to be!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…