Laptop reliability survey

dms_05 14:49 18 Nov 09

It's normally very difficult to find accurate information on reliabilty so a survey of 30,000 laptops over 3 years is a pretty good guide click here and it's surprising how unreliable even expensive ones are. Despite all the claims Apple comes in as the 4th most reliable. Look at the pdf link at the very bottom of the report for more interesting facts.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:55 18 Nov 09

Square Trade do make it clear that around one third of failures are due to accidents.

Bear in mind, also, this quote "Given that the typical laptop endures more use and abuse than nearly any other consumer electronic device (with the possible exception of cell phones), it is not surprising to see such high failure rates."

Input Overload 17:21 18 Nov 09

I was surprised to see Acer at the top, from posts on here Acer after sales is not that good. But an interesting survey. Thanks for sharing, I may have to alter my opinion on Acer somewhat.

Zorst 17:38 18 Nov 09

You mean ASUS at the top surely? Acer didn't perform too well and were near the bottom. Surprised to see HP at the bottom though.

Woolwell 18:26 18 Nov 09

This doesn't appear to take into account what use the laptop/netbooks have. For example a laptop that is used on the road may be subject to more knocks than a larger one which mainly static. Is a laptop more unreliable if it is used by a student than an OAP or is it the other way round?

dms_05 07:33 19 Nov 09

IMHO the most important point is a large sample of reliability data based on an independent source. It's the most comprehensive survey I've seen and gives a pretty good fix on what to expect if you buy a laptop. Basically over 3 years 1 in 5 will fail for a basic electro/mechanical reason. If you include accidental damage this increases to 1 in 4.

As all laptops are made in China from commonly sourced components it's hardly surprising that many have similar failure rates. The figures would suggest Asus, Toshiba. Sony, Apple are made to the same standard and Acer and HP are not as well assembled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…