Laptop recommendations

loopyloo 10:45 25 Apr 06

I am purchasing for the first time a laptop and would like some recommendations on which makers to buy. I have upto £700 and do bits of everything on the computer. Ive seen an acer aspire model 1644 and it seems to have good specifications for the price but if you look at Dell or Evesham for the high specifications you have to pay more. Is it worth getting less and picking a good manufacturer or go for the likes of Acer. Any model recommendations would be apprreciated

dontmeshwithme 11:03 25 Apr 06

Personally I like Dell, what do you intend to use it for? If it is just web surfing, office apps then go for Dell, pick one of the "off the shelf machines" and don't customise it (thats when you get stung) also look out for their special offers ie double the memory, if you can buy at the right time then you should get a performance/£ machine that is on par with the Acer.

welshbenson 13:23 25 Apr 06

Try rock direct at click here a friend has 2 and they work well

rmcqua 14:36 25 Apr 06

Acer are a "good manufacturer" with a good reputation.
You might also want to consider one of these:
click here

DrScott 23:58 25 Apr 06

Till it died after 3 years intensive use. The only thing is that they have a pretty poor level of customer service, and repairs if required are the source of many frustrations - a google search will confirm this!

I've just bought a laptop from PCW (yes, I can't quite believe it myself!) which is very good value at £799 (dual core Centrino) - Advent 7093 - but I understand that might be £99 too much.

spinneli 12:02 27 Apr 06

I really like Gladiator and their customer services is really good - there is always a human being on the end of the phone!
Their laptops look reasonaly priced for the quality - I am thinking of getting one myself because the desktops have been really good & reliable. click here

Ikelos 12:05 27 Apr 06

can not go far wrong with Rock and you get 3 years pick up and return...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…