Laptop recommendation

mainomano 13:45 15 May 09

Hi guys. Need a bit of advice on a laptop for my Mum.

She uses some special software that requires 2Ghz processer and 1GB RAM. We're tired of sharing the desktop PC at home.

So far I've found the following:

Acer Extensa 5230E 2Ghz - £285.25 - click here
Acer Extensa 5230E 2.2Ghz - £297.21 - click here
HP 550 - £289.80 - click here
HP Compaq Presario CQ60-100EA - £279.97 - click here

They all fulfil the requirements for what my Mum needs it for. Just want a bit of advice on making a final decision?

I will probably be spending an extra few quid on another 1GB RAM to install in to the laptop as they all seem to be upgradeable.

interzone55 16:06 15 May 09

Let your mum have a look at the laptops, and preferably a play on the keyboard, because using a laptop takes a bit of getting used to, keyboards differ greatly in both quality and layout between manufacturers and even between different models by the same manufacturer.

Also the screen is important - on lower end models like the ones above they screens aren't generally the best quality available, and text can be hard to read.

Personally I'd go for a Compaq over an Acer, because I find the keyboards suit me better.

user8 16:16 15 May 09

Acer have had issues over reliability & support.
Have you though of Toshiba, reliable & well made.
Have a look at Staples @ click here
A bit more than you want to spend but plenty of extras!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…