Laptop purchase advice

funkey_monkey 08:14 10 Jun 08

Hi,

I have to buy a laptop quickly for my family as they are getting really frustrated about our current 12yo desktop crashing and not performing.

The laptop will only be used for internet surfing by them. So I'm looking at something with a 15" screen and as it is used between properties it must have a modem and be wireless enabled.

Other than that I have no real requirements, other than quality. I'm looking to spend up to and around £400 to get one.

I would appreciate some advice on what to buy etc as I've never purchased a laptop before and don't know what to look out for.

Thanks in advance.

chub_tor 08:57 10 Jun 08

First decide the features that you need, click here and click here After that take a look at this range click here

My personal choice of manufacturer is Toshiba, closely followed by HP/Compaq then Lenovo and Acer in that order.

Others will differ.

Crash 10:54 10 Jun 08

Dell have Inspiron 1525 laptops from £329, I would recommend them. Have a look at the one priced at £399

Zaphod 3 15:15 10 Jun 08

Try this

click here

or this
click here

Zaphod 3 15:17 10 Jun 08

PS we have one of each and they are both pretty damn good

funkey_monkey 21:18 10 Jun 08

Zaphod,

I see the Toshiba you mention is running Vista with 1Gb of RAM. I've been told that you need about 2Gb to make it work adequately. How are you finding it speedwise?

I was thinking of this one from ebuyer, but your HP choice looks appealing too.

Which is better from these options:

HP Pavilion
click here

Toshiba
click here

I'm ruling out the Dell purely because for the price they have integrated graphics which is a limitation the others do not have at similar prices.

Advice and comments appreciated as I'm unsure between the two which would be the better option.

Thanksd for all previous replies. I apprecaite the time and effort you all put into it

chub_tor 21:35 10 Jun 08

Having looked and compared the two sets of specs. I would go for the HP machine on the basis that it has 2Gb RAM, a larger hard drive and a built in webcam. I usually choose Toshiba but for your purposes I think that the HP would do a good job for your family.

Crash 12:03 11 Jun 08

The two laptops you have given links to both have onboard graphics with the Toshiba one using the same chip.

funkey_monkey 23:40 15 Jun 08

Yip - just reaslised that!!! Apologies.

I've signed up to ebuyer and their e-mag has got this one listed which I think is well specced. Better than the two I've posted above and again better value than a Dell for the spec:

click here

Never heard of the brand. Are they any good?

Thanks for the replies. :-)

belfman 00:10 16 Jun 08

Yes they are.

Taff™ 06:18 16 Jun 08

The Asus seems to be out of stock. Back to HP and although this is also out of stock, if they say more due in 2-3 days I would believe them. Ring up sales and check. click here Excellent company & I can personally recommend this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac