Laptop: Processor Speed and Restore/ Windows disks

ajw2708 20:34 24 Jun 09

I am thinking of getting a new laptop:

1) Which laptop makers supply a Windows system disk (WSD) rather than Restore disks. I find a WSD much more useful and I am capable of creating my own restore disk with a day 1 setup on it.

2) Is there a chart somewhere that lists the Intel and competing processors in order of speed? I know that RAM also needs to be included in the formula to make a PC run fast, but all these processor names makes for confusing reading.

3) Apologies if this info has been supplied elsewhere in the forum, I just haven't spotted it.

curofone 21:08 24 Jun 09

1. I can only think of one manufacturer off the top of my head that supplies operating system DVDs and that is medion, now i know my samsung nc10 netbook came with xp disk but i doubt that trend continues up the range. Like you have probably already discovered manufacturers now like to partition off a section of the hard drive for a recovery partition that can be accessed at start up and they also have option to create recovery disks for when that does not work.

2. best place for processor comparisions is probably click here they also do GPU comparisons

I am Spartacus 23:08 24 Jun 09

Toshiba used to supply Windows disks but I don't know if they still do.

The Intel list is click here with a link to the latest CPU's.

curofone 23:29 24 Jun 09

toshiba use to supply a recovery disk, which i believe was actually a front end to norton ghost. New toshiba tend not to come with any disks now and like just about all other manufactures you have to create your own recovery disks, although saying or this if you buy from toshibas business range i think they supply opertating system disks.

ajw2708 21:44 25 Jun 09

I consider the Processor speed question answered - Thank you Curofone.

Anyone else who can help with the system disks for the laptop - please post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017