Laptop or desktop?

fifemale93 19:21 04 Oct 06

Found these 2 computers and interested in both, 1 laptop 1 desktop. Which is better value overall do you think?

ADVENT 7106 Laptop
Intel Pentium M 735A Processor 1.7GHz
533 MHz FSB
2 MB Cache
1GB Memory
80 GB Hard Drive
Dual Layer DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
15" TFT Display
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
128MB Intel Shared Graphics £499

PACKARD BELL 1459 Desktop
Intel Pentium D 805 Processor
2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
1GB DDR RAM
80GB Hard Disk Drive
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
128MB ATI Xpress 200 Graphics
8-In-1 Media Card Reader
6 USB Connections
17"TFT Monitor £448

anskyber 19:29 04 Oct 06

Well is it a two seater sports car or a luxury saloon?

The answer really depends on what you want to use it for and how. Do you want portability or repairability etc. Can you help with your needs? The laptop seems to have the edge even though the spec is slightly inferior.

anskyber 19:33 04 Oct 06

If you look here the offerings are significantly greater for your cash. click here

Totally-braindead 19:53 04 Oct 06

Both are no use for games although the desktop MIGHT have an AGP or PCI Express slot in which case you could add a new graphics card.
Really as anskyber has said there is no way anyone can advise until they know what you want to use it for. Either will do for normal computing by which I mean internet, word processing etc.

fifemale93 20:09 04 Oct 06

be used for mostly internet, word processing and very little gaming (apart from FootballManager 2007).

fifemale93 20:18 04 Oct 06

forgot to add, portability obviously ad advantage but not essential. repairs and upgrades, guessing the desktop would be better off for that. looked at Dell and MESH and a few other places and not too keen on the whole return to them for service etc

Totally-braindead 21:31 04 Oct 06

Not keen on Mesh personally, do a search on the forum and you'll see what I mean. Dell are ok as are many others. I personally would also look at some of the Novatech own brand PCs as they are built from standard components click here

anskyber 21:44 04 Oct 06

Right I think I get the drift of where you want to be. "Which" mag has recently done the usual tests. Look in your library for Computing Which Sept issue.

In terms of persons willing to recommend a manufacturer to their friens both your choices came last and next to last. (PB 22% and A 14%)

Reliability was much better however. In the end (and I agree the judgement is subjective from Which) they came down on Dell
for laptops and desktops. Other reviews may tell a different tale!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5