Laptop Onsite Warranties - A waste of money?

tammer 21:40 24 Sep 06

I've a laptop from a firm I'll not bother mentioning for now. It came with a 3 year warranty - 1 year onsite then 2 years return to base.

During the first year, I had a problem with the screen and made a claim under the warranty. I was told the repair needed to be carried out in controlled conditions and it needed to be returned to base. Fair enough I guess, a screen repair isn't possible with a laptop.

When it came back with a new chassis, I noticed that the keyboard had become spongy - as if it hadn't been affixed correctly. I asked for an onsite repair but again was told it would need to be carried out under controlled conditions so needs to go back to base (2 week turnaround).

I'm starting to believe that no laptop repair can be carried out onsite and therefore you're best only ever paying for a return to base warranty.

Am I correct or has anyone ever had a laptop repaired onsite?

Forum Editor 23:25 24 Sep 06

that anything other than the most basic of laptop repairs could be carried out onsite.

Strawballs 23:38 24 Sep 06

2 week turnround seems a long time my HP has had to go back 3 times and all 3 times it was taken by courior and returned same way within 3 working days

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now