Laptop for Music student

stevier 17:15 12 May 05

Picking up on an earlier thread regarding laptops for students. My daughter is off to uni this year to read music and needs to be able to use Sibelius on a laptop. As most laptops just come with onboard sound will that be adequate. I have come across the Audigy 2 ZS notebook soundcard. Would that be a worthwhile addition. It uses the PCMIA slot. Do all laptops have them? She has a Casio Privia digital piano how would she connect it to the laptop to use the score writing facilties?
Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:47 12 May 05

Onboard sound is more than adequate on modern lappys. However spending £30 on a set of Labtec speakers (2 + 1 woofer) will enhance the sound immeasurably.

G

bfoc 23:44 12 May 05

The digital piano is MIDI compatible she can get a USB to MIDI connector and that will have both MIDI IN and MIDI out.

Depending what other USB devices she has (printer, scanner, mouse etc) she may need a USB hub as well, but I would always recommend using the direct laptop USB port for MIDI.

TomJerry 00:02 13 May 05

a few very very recent models use PCI-E and may not have PCMIA

Sibelius is not a demaning program, so almost all lappy will do nicely

if the sound quality is really important, you can look for a lappy with 5.1 on-board sound

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…