Laptop insurance - worthwhile?

Al94 23:37 08 Dec 07

My son has just returned from University tonight for Christmas sick as a parrot having been relieved of his laptop by an opportunist thief on the way home. A crowd of them were at a bus stop in Edinburgh, cases, laptops etc waiting for a bus in cold sleety conditions. After a 20 minute wait, bus came and laptop couldn't be found. I thought I had the situation covered having taken out a three year laptop theft policy for him through AXA but the following exclusion in the small print knocks that on the head "Theft of the equipment whilst on/in any form of public conveyance or public place save where the equipment is taken fron you by actual or threatened force"

Basically seems insurance is worthless in these circumstances - a salutory lesson. Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

FatboySlim71 09:05 09 Dec 07

I know on most if not all home contents insurance's, you can insure items away from the home, but I'm almost certain that this needs to be set-up, with regards to what the item is etc etc.

ronalddonald 21:58 22 Feb 08

use a laptop bag when carrying your laptop. i use a rucksack, and i know one or two people even use a briefcase flightbag. im sorry that your child had laptop stolen, but from previous experience use another disguise. i was offered insurance fro currs when i gotmy laptop, my laptops still going fter three years.

jolorna 22:12 22 Feb 08

like FatboySlim71 says you can get insurance on your household policy for items away from home ours is any item over £1500.00 has to be itemised on the policy

tullie 22:21 22 Feb 08

Obviously the person concerned had put the laptop down,not very wise

hjmason 16:06 18 Aug 08

Sorry to hear about that i have my laptop insured with mind your IT and would reccomend them

tullie 16:22 18 Aug 08

Sorry for his loss but it appears that he had put the laptop down,a lesson learned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac