laptop insurance ???

rick90 22:25 10 May 06

i have just paid £580 for a toshiba laptop.[my first laptop.] do I need a two year extra cover for £99 [making 3 year cover] or am I waisting my money.It seems reasonable to me.advice please.

rmcqua 22:32 10 May 06

Unless it includes accidental damage anywhere, it seems expensive to me. Novatech charge 29.00 for their 2 year "carepack".

rick90 22:37 10 May 06

for quick reply rmcqua,any one else.

Stuartli 22:45 10 May 06

My daughter used to have a Toshiba Satellite which she bought used - it came with the balance of a three year warranty and, when the screen packed up when it was two years old, Toshiba replaced it without quibble.

So it's worth checking the warranty

Woolwell 22:50 10 May 06

Who is it with? Toshiba's own 3 year warranty is £92.83 (1 year to 3 year)
click here

There are other more expensive warranty options.

Unless I am mistaken the Novatech price is for Novatech laptops. As with all of these things are a bit of a gamble. Likelihood of a breakdown v cost of repair.

Woolwell 22:51 10 May 06

Shoud have read:
As with all of these things they are a bit of gamble.

rick90 22:57 10 May 06

for correction Woolwell,£92,83.I think with my luck it,s a good investment. thank,s guys.

Woolwell 23:05 10 May 06

Should have made myself clearer. The more expensive options are with Toshiba. Their support pages give details.

Stuartli 23:13 10 May 06

I forgot to add that the parts and labour costs met by Toshiba for my daughter's Satellite came to around £600; she knew this as she took it to and picked it up from an official Toshiba repair centre about 30 miles from where she lived at the time.

So investing in protection after the original warranty runs out could prove worthwhile...:-)

Charence 23:56 10 May 06

I think extending the cover for a laptop is a good idea since laptop parts don't seem to be very easy to source and they're usually quite expensive compared to a desktop.

DrScott 10:07 11 May 06

Having had the motherboard on my 3 year old acer die, I can definitely confirm what Charence said - getting spare parts is virtually impossible.

Of course, you can use the parts of the laptop for other things e.g. make a HTPC, but essentially extended cover is probably worthwhile. I suspect most hardware problems happen after 3 years though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…