joeapperley123 10:58 09 Mar 07

anyone used/own this laptop?

i saw it in PC world yesterday and it was top spec,

1.66 core2duo
2gb ram
160gb HDD
decent graphics card.
looks pretty

for £850? this good? or does anyone have any suggestions for laptops with £1000 being the most i can spend! only want a small screen, less than 15"

regards,

The Brigadier 13:28 09 Mar 07

Try click here
Or for trusty & reliable click here

QinesiQ 17:23 09 Mar 07

Hi

I recently bought a HP dv6100 (6152 I think) and I love it. I went for this particular model because of my past experience with HP hardware and it was very high spec for the price. It feels well-built and sturdy (especially more so than my old Vaio which sadly *struggled* to last barely 3 years – btw I found out that Asus make Vaios so I avoided them like the plague too).

I specifically wanted XP and have also taken up the Vista upgrade option. Its being shipped.

I used to have a Compaq (Armada 1700) and I think in 2000 yrs they will be digging it up and it will still go - it’s indestructible! I have given it a spring clean and given it to my neighbour.

I looked at rock but found them expensive for comparable specs.
I have no experience with novatech.

I bought my HP in-store from John Lewis for under £650 + 2 yr warranty. Customer service – wonderful. I will take advantage of the warranty if needs be but personally I do not have much faith in warranties from past experience (Vaio) and I therefore rely/fall back on insurance if necessary.

Btw check out comets prices – I have found them to be one of the best – surprisingly. My customer satisfaction with them varies however from excellent to darn-right unacceptable (and that was just to actually get served!)

I’m not too keen on HP call centres and I find their consumer support side not very useful on the whole (another plus for insurance - you don’t have to call India). The business support is *far* more useful and helpful – v. good forums too.

joeapperley123 19:37 10 Mar 07

cheers for the replies.

i'm currently using a novatech as my main PC, but i'm shallow and what my laptop to look good aswell as perform well.

i do music production in college, and will be doing it at uni in september.. i do a bit of a photoshop also, and the basic software packages.

do you think the spec of the HP will be up to date(ish) for a couple of years?

Aspman 12:36 12 Mar 07

Just got an HP6325 which is a more business style laptop (but with £100 cash back) build quality seems very good.

HP support is reported to me to be pretty poor BUT no worse than anyone else (their all bad).

Will the spec be up to date in a couple of years? No, but that's all relative. It will still be usable because it will still be running Vista etc. The only thing it will struggle with in 2 years will be 2008, 2009 games.

If you're not gaming, you could probably spend less and get an 'as usable' machine.

jimmybond 20:44 12 Mar 07

what laptop was it exactly? I found this HP laptop on PC world website for £850, but you'd said it had a decent graphics card? Having said that, I would be surprised if you found a core 2 duo powered laptop AND a good graphics card for £850. I would have thought £1200ish?

click here=

jimmybond 20:51 12 Mar 07

ok sorry ignore me, I missed it in the title ;-)
yeah that is a decent spec - It's stretching it a bit, to call it a decent graphics card tho ;-)
hp do look pretty, agreed...so do sony vaio's. My sis had two of them, and they both broke several times!

joeapperley123 23:18 12 Mar 07

decent enough for a laptop, i'm not going to be doing any gaming on it, and i just wanted something without shared memory.

yes, my dad also had a vaio but it broke with in a year. then he dropped it and it started working again, bit temperemental it seems.

think ive almost made my mind on the HP one, although any more opinions would be welcomed..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now