Is this laptop a good buy?

Batch 08:56 19 Nov 10

My bro is looking to get my SIL a lappie for Xmas. She will just use it for web browsing, email, office type stuff (no photo / video editing etc. and I doubt if any video watching, although maybe the occassional youtube and so on).

He has seen this Compaq at Comet click here for £299 (supposedly reduced from £580)

Summary:
15.6"
2GB
250GB
Win7 Home
Celeron Mobile M900 2.2Ghz (Intel 1 star)
DVD

There is such an overwhelming choice out there. Bottom line is, is this a pretty reasonable buy (or even a very good buy) and so he should just go for it? Or should he look elsewhere?

birdface 10:32 19 Nov 10

Not sure about the original price Asda's are selling one similar but not sure if it is the same model Number.
click here
So maybe the £500 + price may have been when sold at a different time.
I don't know a lot about laptops but it does look to be Ok for what is needed.
And looks like a fairly good price.
Maybe someone can come up with a better solution at the right price.

chub_tor 11:10 19 Nov 10

I favour Toshiba for reliability so this one click here looks like a good buy in that price range. But saying that it has no advantages that I can see over the Comet Compaq, so yes it does look like a good buy for the price.

Batch 17:20 19 Nov 10

Thanks guys.

Batch 14:44 20 Nov 10

I see Staples are selling a similar (but not identical - e.g. only 1GB) Toshiba model for £279

click here

Note their listed prices exclude VAT

chub_tor 10:40 21 Nov 10

Pay the extra for the 2Gb RAM - you won't regret it.

Batch 11:00 21 Nov 10

You're preaching to the converted matey - that's why I mentioned the diff in RAM capacity.

birdface 11:21 21 Nov 10

Watch out if you buy from staples and take out a 3 year warranty.
It only covers accidental damage for the first year and normal warranty for the next 2 years.
I don't think they fully explain that when selling you the warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…