Laptop for gaming/work

matt_crosspatch 15:43 18 May 07

I am looking for a new laptop that I can use for work and gaming. I need to move around, so a 17" or larger is out of the question. Battery life is not too much of an issue as I am normally near a mains socket. Good display and build quality is important.

So far the Rock Pegassus 665 and the Asus G1 have appealed to me. But are a little out of my price range of £800

Any comments?

donki 16:08 18 May 07

What kind of gaming are you talking? Game titles?

Kate B 19:07 18 May 07

You'll have to spend a lot of money to get a laptop that will handle games adequately. I suggest you have a look at the latest crop of PC magazines in WH Smith or similar for reviews. Do come back to us to ask about specs on a specific machine, but it's a good idea to do your own basic research first.

matt_crosspatch 20:32 18 May 07

I'm looking to play RTS games such as Company of Heroes and MMORPGs like World of Warcraft.

Specs I'm looking at are:
Core 2 duo T7200
2Gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600 / Ati X1600 256MB Graphics
100GB Hard disc

The machine is intended for work and gaming when i'm away from home. I have also looked at the Zoostorm 6610 and Acer Aspire 5683WLMi.

Joe R 22:23 18 May 07

matt_crosspatch,

can't see anything at that spec' for this budget, but here are a couple that may interest you.
click here
click here

donki 22:37 18 May 07

Well for such games that should be fine, but remember laptops will never be gaming machines. If u ever tryed FPS such as fear, oblivion you will have problems. I cant recomend a laptop for gaming as they are hard to upgrade and with DX10 here/coming you will be left behind. Although like i said for the games u stated you will be able to run at medium-high settings.

wolfie3000 01:46 19 May 07

When i hear the words gaming and laptop i tend to cringe a bit,

Laptops where never designed for gaming, even mmorpg's will struggle.

But there is hope if you have a big wallet,

click here

If your budget cant stretch to that then theres always this one.

click here

matt_crosspatch 22:01 19 May 07

Thanks for all the help folks, the laptop is intended for work, with the option of gaming when away from home. If i wanted full on gaming I would get a tower/ps3, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…