Laptop DOA, ok to ask for new one?

dontaskme 02:19 05 Jul 03

I bought a laptop which arrived today. It has a fault and switches off after 3 seconds.

I am going to phone up tomorrow (saturday, hopefully open) and ask them to sort it out.

Can i demand a new one, saying that this one never worked and i don't want a repaired one?

I'd like to know where i stand before i phone up.

g0slp 06:27 05 Jul 03

I certainly would - it's not exactly "fit for purpose", is it?

You've (presumably, although you don't actually say so) purchased a new laptop, so you should expect a new laptop, not a repaired one. Don't allow yourself to be seduced by a silver-tongued helpline operator offering to "sort this one out for you Sir".

Any problems, offer to expose them on this forum!

Hope you get sorted out quickly.

If it was second-hand, you can still reject it immediately, if it was sold as an operational unit

Forum Editor 08:04 05 Jul 03

reject the machine (use that word when you speak to the retailer) as being not fit for its purpose.

In such circumstances you have the right to ask for a replacement computer, or a full refund. If the retailer/manufacturer attempts to get you to agree to a repair, bear in mind that the fault may be something that can be easily fixed, and agreeing to the repair will not in any way affect your right to subsequently reject the machine - it's your call. If you do accept the repair option you should remember that the law states that the supplier must effect the repair within a 'reasonable' time, although it doesn't define the term.

The crucial thing is to set the ball rolling with the minimum of delay, and to make sure that you record the dates of all phone calls/emails, and the names of any people to whom you speak.

Sir Radfordin 08:49 05 Jul 03

Think any reputable company would replace a DOA produt as its normal course of action. When I had an IBM Thinkpad that died after a week that was declared DOA and a courier swapped it out on a Sunday morning (hmmm!) without any hassle at all.

dontaskme 12:11 05 Jul 03

I asked for extra ram, so does that affect anything?

dontaskme 13:00 05 Jul 03

I have spoken to them and they said i needed to speak to technical support people who will reference it as DOA. They are not in until monday

Should i phone up again and reject it now? Is that impatient? They say i have 7 days to cancel it (unopened), which would be wednesday

I didn't get her name (i think i know it though) or give her my details. Is this likely to cause a problem.

I'm not sure where i stand, which is I presume how companies get away with all the terms and conditions that they set.

Steven135 14:36 05 Jul 03

Probably best not to assume the worst just note call times etc as FE has suggested.

It's very dissapointing when some thing does not work but it is in the companies best interest to get it right.

If they do begin to give you the run around then there is plenty of very good help and advice available here.

Stuartli 21:14 05 Jul 03

Why would they say you have the right to cancel it within seven days unopened - surely it must be obvious to whoever you spoke to that you must have tried it to find it DOA? (!)

The point is that you have, presumably, paid for a new and properly working laptop and so that is exactly what you are entitled to, not one that is subsequently repaired.

If you had used it for a short while then the retailer would have been entitled to offer to repair the laptop first; if this proved unsuccessful then they should normally replace it with a new one.

H-J 21:44 05 Jul 03

But does it do this with the mains power adaptor plugged in, or are you trying it out of the box with the batteries 'as is'? I only ask because such batts usually have nothing more than a test charge in and would probably produce the symptoms you describe.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but sometimes it is worth it

Hugh

malik4456 09:59 06 Jul 03

If you received DOA goods you have every right to reject goods as they are not fit for purpose and they should either give you refund or provide you with new system within reasonable time.

davidg_richmond 16:07 06 Jul 03

In order that folk use the right words and terms when dealing with problems with suppliers:

The term 'fit for purpose' refers to a product being right for the application it was bought for (i.e. being sold a hammer when you need a screwdriver)

When a product is faulty, as is the case here, the product is indeed fit for the purpose but is not of 'satisfactory quality'.

Sorry, it's just I hear the wrong terms being used all the time and I'm picky about such things!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…