Laptop for designer & web developer

gprego 16:55 03 Aug 13

Hi there. I'm need to buy a new laptop. I'm graphic designer and a web developer, so I use photoshop, illustrator, visual studio, etc, and generally at the same time. I want to spend no more than £850, and I don't want a mac. I'm thinking on buying the "Lenovo IdeaPad Y510", with 16gb of ram and 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD. The price is about £770 on amazon (usa). Do you think I can buy a better lapotp for that price. The other one I liked was a the "Alienware 14", buy I think I'll miss numpad to much. I really could use your advice. Thanks Gonzalo

Nontek 17:45 03 Aug 13

If you know so much about computers, why do you need our advice - I smell Spam!!

gprego 18:42 03 Aug 13

Nontek, thanks a lot for your useful input. I don't know so much about computers. But I spent the last days researching what is the best thing I can buy for that kind of money, since it's a lot if money for me. I put the links on case somebody want to check out the details. Thanks again for your reply.

Nontek 23:03 03 Aug 13

Judging by your specs and usage for said PC, you probably know a lot more about computers than I do - so I doubt if my input would be of any use.

But to answer you question I doubt you would get it any cheaper.

spuds 11:18 04 Aug 13

You appear to refer to Amazon (USA) as a possible supplier, yet quote £sterling. By the time import and handling duties, plus warranties are taken into consideration, the £770.00 isn't going to look a bargain?.

spuds 11:51 04 Aug 13

It might be interesting to ask why you don't fancy a mac system?.

I know someone who runs a website design and development studio, and they will have nothing else than mac equipment. In fact they have recently sold all their old ageing mac equipment, and replaced it with new mac systems. I happened to have the opportunity to buy one of the older units from them, and they had nothing but praise for the item I purchased and all the rest!.

wee eddie 14:23 04 Aug 13

I am going to back up "spuds" query.

If you are going to earn money from this skill, then the laptop is a deductible expense.

If you "pitching" to a client for his/her business, then the lack of a Mac will loose you considerable credibility.

Popping a Mac on his desk and turning it toward him, just screams "professional".

Most, non techie, people are not sufficiently familiar with the various varieties of Macs, so one of the smaller ones should be within your budget, but having that iconic piece of kit is de-rigeur.

gprego 16:07 05 Aug 13

Thanks a lot for the answers.

Spuds: I’ll travel to USA soon, so £770 will be the final price, since I will bring it myself.

Spuds and Wee eddie: About the MAC, I always use pc and I’m very used to working with a pc environment. I used mac a couple of times, and I just can’t get the hang of it. I know that’s just because I’m not used to it. Also I’m not comfortable with small screens, and the cheaper mac’s are 11” or 13”. I know I can use a secondary monitor (and I do), but sometimes I work at home, and I don’t have the extra monitor there.

Although I think that my next one will be a mac, for now I’ll stick with pc.

I think I will go with the Lenovo, since I think it’s the best machine in that price range.

Thanks again for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5