laptop decision new or 2nd hand

tickhiller 08:22 31 Aug 05

I have about £400 to spend and would like a lightweight laptop for use whilst travelling. I am torn between refurbished IBM T23, 1GHz PIII, DVD/CDRW combo, wireless with Win 2000, or new HP 6110/ IBM R50 for a few pounds more.
My choice is between the more portable, solid & reliable T23, or, a nice shiny new toy.
Opinons please.

€dstowe 08:27 31 Aug 05

I would never buy anything computer related as a second user item. There is always a reason that the previous owner didn't want it - very often this is because it was faulty.

Buying new gives you purchase protection under the various laws of the country - secondhand does not do this so when you find out you have bought a load of junk, you're stuck with it.

There are bargains to be had, yes but, I always err on the side of caution

wee eddie 09:42 31 Aug 05

Other considerations are:

Cost of Software!

Your requirements: If you are going to use it for basic Office type tasks, then almost any machine is up to the job.

Internet use: Older versions of Windows may not be getting support updates any longer and therefor, possibly, be open to new threats.

Thieves are less likely to liberate an old laptop as they can't sell it easily.

€dstowe 10:57 31 Aug 05

"Thieves are less likely to liberate an old laptop as they can't sell it easily."

It may have already gone through this process!

tickhiller 11:17 31 Aug 05

Thanks for your comments, i will be using the laptop for internet browsing, documents and photographs whilst away from home. My only concern about new laptops is they seem to be made of flimsy materials. Do they break easily (I will not take it skydiving but I am as clumsy as the next butterfingers)

Belatucadrus 11:33 31 Aug 05

Main thing to consider before buying second hand/refurbished is the battery, if it's new it may be worth considering. If not then what's the warranty cover. The ones I've seen only offered a month and the cost of replacing it would be £100 plus.
New laptop prices have dropped a lot and with outlets like Dell click here doing some good special offers, I'd be extremely reluctant to buy refurbished, particularly if it's going to travel a lot.

bobbybowls 11:39 31 Aug 05

try morgan auctions click here
they have 2 at £390 & £350 you will have to be quick as they end at 3pm

Slithe 11:45 31 Aug 05

So you are looking at £400 to spend. To be honest that will not go as far as some people would like on a brand new laptop. Most new machines run Win XP now - I think (and I may be wrong) that Win 2000 is slowly being phased out of the Home User market and is available as an option for business users. My Dad uses 2000 on his company laptop, for example.

Another point to make - Windows 2000 is part of the Windows NT system, which I think Microsoft haved merged with the previous versions i.e. 95, 98, ME to create Windows XP. This will explain why Windows 2000 is becoming harder to find.

Therefore, this brings me to the point about your Operating System. Windows XP needs a laptop/PC with at least 512MB RAM - you may get a model with this spec for £400, however other features may have to be sacrificed. Another point to consider on a new laptop is inbuilt graphics on the Motherboard - that drains your memory and slows the system.

You don't specify the RAM on either machine - this is a point to consider (as well as the graphics option.)

Second hand laptops as someone said above are disposed of for a reason. Sometimes this is because of age and a need for a faster machine or unfortuantely, that the laptop is becoming faulty or developing problems. Either way, a PIII machine sounds quite old now, getting parts to upgrade may also be a problem as well as the warranty - it probably doesn't exist anymore.

Internet Browsing - I'd go for something newer - XP has its flaws (believe me it does) however, updates can be downloaded for newer machines and the anit-virus and firewall companies are developing software with XP and the new version Vista in mind.

Windows XP is more friendly towards photo-editing and HP Machines come with Imaging Software - I know this because my Pavillion PC came preinstalled with it.

A new Laptop will have all the restore info and will be under a guarantee from purchase - HP Machines often have the HD Partitioned with a section known as 'Recovery' - restoring the system is something you may wish to consider on a second hand machine.

Laptops are fragile - however, the best thing to do is insure your new machine. Search on the web for deals - some policies cover you for accidental damage and theft. However, make sure that the replacement is like for like.

Finally, if you want a refurbished laptop - have a look at DELL OUTLET (on the Dell Site) this allows you to specify, from returned and refurbished machines, to your exact specifications and have a Dell warranty

Hope this helps

Belatucadrus 14:11 31 Aug 05

"Windows XP needs a laptop/PC with at least 512MB RAM" My Medion & the Dell laptop both run XPhome on 256MB quite adequately. I've got a home built that I gave 512Mb, most of the time I don't notice the difference, but this clearly depends on the system requirements of any software packages to be run. 3D and video manipulation would most likely give a 256 equipped PC an attack of the screaming heebie geebies.

Stuartli 14:21 31 Aug 05

Try click here which sells both new and used top brand laptops, sells a wide range of parts and accessories and will undertake repairs.

My daughter bought a year-old Toshiba Satellite from them (they are based a few miles from where I live) with the balance of the three-year-old warranty at half original price.

About 18 months later the screen became faulty and Toshiba paid up the £600 repair cost of a new screen and labour charges without a quibble.

Stuartli 14:22 31 Aug 05

Currently have three Dell preused models at under £400.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…