Laptop buying help

CharlieB32 12:15 PM 26 Oct 13

Hi there,

I'm going off to university next year, and so have decided to buy a laptop as I think it'll be needed when I get there, but wanted some advice/help. I've got a budget of around £500-800, and would want to be able to play games on it as well as standard applications. I would only use it for games not available on consoles, so nothing like call of duty or GTA, but more strategy games like Total War. So I'm looking for a laptop with dedicated graphics, and probably an i5 processor? Are there any laptops you guys could recommend in this price range for me? Had been looking at this one, but any suggestions as to a better laptop for my wants would be much appreciated!

chub_tor 17:56 PM 26 Oct 13

Sony Vaio Fit E15 is about the middle of your budget and worth a look. The Toshiba you linked to is i3

rdave13 20:59 PM 26 Oct 13

Another one to consider but an AMD processor,click here.

emiliajercan 10:24 AM 28 Oct 13

Hi, I am also a student and i am using a Lenovo laptop for 3 years now. I recommend you to take a look at this, i think it's a good one for your budget. Check it out click here

Emily

CharlieB32 11:12 AM 29 Oct 13

I had been looking at Lenovo laptops, as they seem to be fairly good value, and well respected too.

In terms of performance, between this and this which would provide the better performance gaming wise? I'd expect the MSI to be better generally due to the i7 processor, but the Lenovo has a better graphics card, I'm wondering whether the better processor would enable to MSI to outperform the Lenovo though?

chub_tor 11:25 AM 29 Oct 13

Here is a comparison of the two graphics cards if you scroll to the bottom you will see that the GTX 660M is the better card for gaming but consumes more power, but that it is preferably paired with an i7 to get the best out of it. There are a few on ebay click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites