Laptop buying advise.

gengiscant 13:51 23 Aug 08

Being a desktop man I don't keep up with laptop specs etc but my partners son is looking to spend between £400-£500 on a laptop.

It will be used mainly for office docs, internet and the odds kids game,he has a six year old daughter.

He won't be carrying it around,well only as far as the car so I thinking A 17" screen.

I would prefer to avoid PC World,but I am willing to look at any suggestions made.

Thanks.

jaraba 14:02 23 Aug 08

Try here

click here

spuds 14:15 23 Aug 08

Ebuyer seem to have regular special promotional offers, perhaps a look there might be of value.

I purchased a Fijitsu Siemens Esprimo V5535 (Microsoft Vista Basic) a few weeks back from Ebuyer. The laptop plus extra 1Gb of memory, laptop case and dual mouse came to a little over £300 including free next day delivery. Well satisfied with the product and Ebuyer telephone sales and advice service.

Would perhaps mention, that I have had many dealings with Dell. On that particular day of purchase of the laptop, Dell gave me the run-around with price codes and discounts, so I purchased the FS from Ebuyer, as the best option.

GaT7 16:16 23 Aug 08

A few 17" ones to consider...

Cheapest could be this Acer Aspire 7520 click here & click here for £300. This would ideally require at least 1Gb extra RAM.

More 17" ones at eBuyer click here.

Also consider this 17" Vostro 1710 from Dell for £387 click here. Take the '2048MB (1x2048)' RAM option for no additional cost leaving 1 slot free for an easy future upgrade.

What games does he intend running? Some kid's games these days may need more than onboard graphics, in which case he'll have to go for one with dedicated graphics - a 8400GS or similar may do. G

GaT7 18:53 23 Aug 08

Here's a 17" Dell Inspiron 1720 with 256Mb dedicated 8600 graphics for £400 click here. Plus get a possible 5% off by using code YAWAUG08 at checkout & 2.5% Quidco cashback click here. G

gengiscant 19:09 25 Aug 08

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…