Laptop buying advice

dominatingtnt 21:22 20 Jun 10

Im currently looking to buy a new laptop that is meant to last for another 4/5 years but I am currently torn between these 2.

ASUS N61JV

Intel Core i5 Processor 520M 2.4GHz, Turbo up to 2.93GHz, 3M Cache, 4 Thread
• 4GB DDR3 Memory 1066MHz
• 500GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk
• 16" HD Frameless LED Screen (1366x768)
• Built-in WiFi N / LAN, Bluetooth, Webcam
• nVidia GeForce GT 325M Graphics with 1GB VRAM
• 1x e-SATA / 3x USB (1x USB 3.0)
Blu ray combo drive
• Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64 bit with both 32/64 bit recovery discs

click here

The main problems with this laptop is-
1- The screen resolution is set at 1366x768 native resolution
is this really a big issue as ive queried it online and find this is the main problem? Im currently using a Sony vaio FS515H at 1280x800 and enjoying it.
2- Battery life is limited... although others rekon it can last 3 hours the general consensus is 2 hours.
3- Not FULL HD on the output only 720p
Does any1 know of any other problems?

Sony Vaio VPCF11M1E/H
VPCF11M1E/H - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Intel PM55 Express Chipset, Intel Core i5-520M, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Blu-ray Disc Player, 802.11a/b/g/n

Designed to entertain with Blu-ray Disc™ Combo drive, Full HD screen and high performance graphics
-Full HD VAIO Display with Blu-ray for intense high definition entertainment.
-Powerful performance and efficient multimedia creation with latest Intel® Core™ processors.
-Conserves power with Light Sensor for screen brightness adjustment and Display Off button.
-Enjoy music and movies in cinema-style surround sound with Dolby® Home Theater v3.

Cons-
graphics card not as good as asus and not full 3d gaming
shiny screen
battery rating is low
Does not have 3.0 usb

click here

The main difference that I can see between them is the Sony is more suited to entertainment aspect- Full HD, dolby surround sound, better resolution. Whilst the asus has usb 3.0, much better graphics card that can run high performance gaming an has Nvidia Optimus technology- switching graphics when and where you need it.

Need to make a decission very soon.. any responce is appreciated... Thank You

ronalddonald 11:39 24 Jun 10

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

chub_tor 12:59 24 Jun 10

Do you have or are you anticipating buying any peripherals that require USB3? If not then this is a moot point.

Are you a gamer? If not then the better graphics is also a moot point.

Do you plan to hook up your laptop to a large screen TV with full HD 1080p capability? If not then you don't need that either.

If you use Bluetooth with your mobile phone or other peripherals then by your specs you need the Asus.

Asus have the best reliability ratings click here but Sony are not far behind.

Think about these choices and make your own decision then live with it.

sean-278262 20:44 24 Jun 10

Currently typing on an Asus and cant fault them. My laptop has issues like any other so I would personally stick to what I know. I dont like the design of current Vaios.

However if you are buying in the UK or anywhere in the EU the asus you list is from an australian company (.au address) so you will pay tax and import duty on it.

click here

So overall it may make it a lot more expensive plus add to that the returns if you have an issue, you will not be covered by any UK legislation if things go wrong, so one of the main reasons I suggest for these sorts of things to buy from a UK source, and if possible try buying in a brick and mortar store to get the best option of taking it back if it goes wrong. Also remember if buying from abroad it will have a foreign plug most likely as well!

So overall I would opt for the Asus on the spec front but what chub_tor said is right that you need to look at what you plan to use the machine most for.

Also paying by credit card in the UK over £100 gets you consumer credit act cover so another reason to buy in the UK.

dominatingtnt 21:36 24 Jun 10

Yer i've been swaying to the asus for a while, seems more value for money and interesting plus I guess if your stuck with a Laptop for 3/4 years at least let it be the personal preference.
Thanks for all your help though, really appreciated...
Will post to evaluate it afterwards, I think it could help someone..
Yer was just using the site to compare the features, but I am planning on getting it in UK but i dont think through online, as would rather have a store outlet with a warranty as I think the asus has 2 years warranty, plus I dont live in the UK so will be a problem none the less getting it back for repairs...

PS- Chub Torr- I can see your point but in responce to those questions, when buying for a laptop you have t think with the future in mind and yes I can see usb 3.0 becoming prominent in every aspect, Gaming aspect I do want to start PC gaming as cant lug my ps3 with me everywhere, and lastly hooking it up to the TV its a nice option to have as when you get home whats the point of watching an HD movie on your laptop if you have a big screen.. they are nice and reasonable options and accessories to have that do have a very prominent future use

HondaMan 08:48 25 Jun 10

an ACER 9835G..click here

Can't fault it. Current price about £900, but it is very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now