Laptop bargain of the century (or not !)

jes x 20:24 25 Nov 08

Hi all,

I spotted this laptop for sale on Play.com and thought what a bargain I must buy it -

click here#

I ordered it and it arrived next day. I opened it and switched it on. On further inspection Idiscovered it has only 1 gb of memory, no webcam and the graphics card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

How can this be ??

How can they possibly get the advertisment so wrong ??

What are my options ??

jes x

Jameslayer 20:28 25 Nov 08

Worst case scenario u get your money back. Best case scenario you get the system as advertised. Im sure someone who actually understands the law will be able to tell you what is most likely to happen. I belive their is a section on the forum/web site with some guidence but no idea were it is.

PoppABear 20:30 25 Nov 08

It doesnt look a bargain anyhow.Aldi have a far superior machine this week.
Have you phoned them looks like the warehouse lads have sent the wrong laptop out.

curofone 20:33 25 Nov 08

You sure that they actually sent you the right machine? becuase if that much is wrong with it sounds like they havent.

As for your rights, well your more then within your rights to send it back to them and ask for your money back but make sure that you arrange return with play first, dont just send it back.

as for bargin of the century, well it was hardly that even if the spec was right. click here is a far better laptop for £399

jes x 20:51 25 Nov 08

Hi,

It is the correct machine just checked the model number on the underside of it.

There also a sticker of the spec on the top of the laptop which is the same as the spec which appears on the box.

jes x

Stuartli 20:54 25 Nov 08

This is a subject which has been raised before in the forums - the detailed specification is superior to the actual desktop or laptop supplied.

IIRC, the last occasion there was a thread about this issue was the fact that the CPU was inferior to that claimed to be included.

curofone 21:03 25 Nov 08

Too be honest it did not really matter if the same model number or not as i am assuming you did not want to keep the machince.

When buying anything over the internet you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations and when you buy anything in the UK you are covered by the Sales of Goods Act and one of the points of that act states the item must be "must be as described" and simply it is not, so assuming the machine is still new ie you have not had it for a month or two contact play and arrange to have the machine picked up and your money refuned

jes x 21:11 25 Nov 08

I have only had it 2 days and it still has the protective plastic on it.

You are correct, I no longer want it as the spec is much lower than advertised.

I will telephone them and explain the problem.

Thanks all for the help so far

jes

Pamy 14:25 26 Nov 08

the add looks like two different laptops being advertised to me, the Acer Aspire 5633WLMi and The Aspire 5630

tullie 15:55 26 Nov 08

Maybe its the 5630 series?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5