Laptop Barebone Industry

  ßoolian 21:24 21 Oct 08
Locked

In this day and age we can build our own desktop systems in the UK. We buy all our parts of some website e.g. Novatech. But now do the Americans think we are totally stupid or something?. I think we are more than capable of building our own laptops. Where is the industry here? The only ones that do sell in the UK are not to the general public.Or will we be resorted to buying them off click here by sacrificing a British keyboard layout with a US one and buy paying a humongous shipping amount?

Therefore I demand that there should be some kind of industry on this side of the pond. I would definitely be a customer.

  Stuartli 23:15 21 Oct 08

I've never come across anyone desiring to build their own laptop - it would almost certainly be much more taxing than a desktop.

  red1977 09:37 22 Oct 08

Boolian

"Therefore I demand that there should be some kind of industry on this side of the pond"

start up a company then!

  canarieslover 09:42 22 Oct 08

Having stripped a couple of laptops in attempts to repair them I certainly would not want to build from barebone systems. I think the customer base for such a venture would not be large enough in this country to make it viable anyway. This is one area where I am happy to buy 'as available' and have the manufacturers warranty. Do a few searches on the net and see what sort of problems arise from even the major manufacturers and you may think again about wanting to go down that route.

  Stuartli 10:34 22 Oct 08

"Therefore I demand that there should be some kind of industry on this side of the pond">>

Whether you "demand" or not (and it's a very arrogant approach), if there was such a demand I'm very sure it would have been catered for a long, long time ago.

  spuds 10:48 22 Oct 08

Reading about cracks on cases, over heating, poor battery life and faulty screens, I would be extremely reluctant to even attempt building a laptop.

Boolian, as previously mentioned, if you demand the UK have the same as the USA, then here's your chance to be an entrepreneur. I am sure one of the investors in the Dragons Den television program will sponsor your idea ;o).

  T0SH 16:49 22 Oct 08

There are three major Taiwan based players with manufacturing bases in China who make 95% of the worlds laptops for all the big brand names, the other 5% are made by another six or so much smaller players also Taiwan based

Are you about to try to compete with them ?
I don`t think so

Cheers HC

  Stuartli 10:43 23 Oct 08

This might be partially what you require(!):

click here

  GANDALF <|:-)> 10:50 23 Oct 08

The fact that there is none of this type of 'industry' in the UK may give you some sort of an economic and fiscal clue.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant