Laptop for around £800 inc. vat?

ade.h 20:12 25 Nov 03

A friend of mine is looking for a budget laptop that is above all reliable and backed up with good after-sales service, and he can't spend much more than £800 to £900 all in. Early research has so far come up with models from Multivision, Benq, Toshiba and HP. Multivision is probably off the shortlist due to the bad experiences of other forum users, but are the others better for after-sales and reliability?
Any comments, good and bad, are much appreciated, including any better alternatives.

Haggie 20:24 25 Nov 03

how about compaq nx9005 range?? not much software with it but start from under £700 just got 1 from dabs

bremner 20:29 25 Nov 03

Three colleagues have recently bought Dell Inspiron laptops and are very pleased with their purchases.

Two have the 1100 at £699 and one has the 5100 at £909.

click here for the Dell page

ade.h 20:45 25 Nov 03

I have been looking at the HP/Compaq nx range, as the model you mentioned got a good review from PC Pro. I'll check the forum for feedback on HPs service and quality.
The Dell Inspirons were my friend's first choice as he'd seen an advert. But are they as good value for money as some other brands?
The laptop will often be used on holiday, so good battery life would be an advantage.

mikef. 21:05 25 Nov 03

Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 C2.2GHz/ 256MB/ 20GB/ 14TFT/ DVD/ LAN/ XP Home £549 +VAT click here

mikef. 21:07 25 Nov 03

Meant to add it got a very good review in Computer Active this week.

bremner 06:53 26 Nov 03

You aid you were after

"reliable and backed up with good after-sales service"

Dell will certainly offer this. As for VFM, Dell's are slightly more expensive but I think their latest offers have redressed the balance to a large degree.

trick 15:25 26 Nov 03

try the dell outlet link from the mail dell site. Factory reconditioned models with full warantee and support, Ive had mine for 4 months and am very pleased, a saving of 800gbp on the new price

Stuartli 17:42 26 Nov 03

BigPockets click here has several used and refurbished models, including Dell and Toshiba varieties, at half your potential price point - just got the e-mail newsletter.

ade.h 12:04 28 Nov 03

Thanks to all of you who responded. I have advised my friend to opt for Dell.

JerryJay 12:19 28 Nov 03

Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 is an excellent machine. I got one myself.
click here sell for 535+vat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…