Laptop advice before I take the plunge...

Tinderstick 20:36 17 Oct 05

Some kind fella pointed me in the direction of an Acer Laptop (spec below) as a good allrounder for a first entry level laptop. I just wondered if anyone could appraise it's worth / suitability on the following criteria and let me know if I should say "whoaaaa there" before I take the plunge and buy tommorrow - thanks:

Need for:

* Some Web Design apps - Dreamweaver, maybe Photoshop
* General internet use
* Maybe playing some DVD's
*Downloading and burning Mp3's to CD
* Some games (for the little one! - ie Zoo Tycoon)
*Lifespan of at approx at least 3 years

Acer Aspire 3003WLMi Sempron 3000+
Home > Acer Laptops > Acer Aspire 3000 Laptops > Acer Aspire 3003WLMi Sempron 3000+
Acer Aspire 3003WLMi Sempron 3000+ - LX.A5505.098

The widescreen Aspire 3003WLMi is the perfect notebook for small office / home office users wanting a cost effective notebook thats capable of delivering excellent value for money as well as a stunning technical specification. This notebook also features a DVD recorder to enable backup of your important files and documents.

* AMD Sempron 3000+ (25W)
* 512MB DDR SDRAM - Low cost double memory Offer - call for details
* 60GB Hard Drive
* DVDRW± Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs and DVD+ and DVD-
* 15.4" XGA Widescreen TFT Screen
* Integrated wireless 802.11g LAN & 10/100 Wired LAN
* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pre Loaded
* FREE Microsoft Works
* 1 year warranty - Upgradeable to 3 years warranty including Accidental Damage cover for only £99!

ade.h 22:23 17 Oct 05

Well, I don't know what Dreamweaver is like for resource use, but NOF runs resonably quickly and smoothly on my Athlon XP desktop; I'm not sure that I would expect a Sempron to be quite as capable. I may be wrong, but I think the Semprons are pretty basic.

Of more concern would the possibility (or not) of playing games. Budget laptops with slow processors, modest RAM and integrated GPUs that share system RAM (and actually reserve a fixed part of it permanently) are not at all coducive to games. Every game is different though, so your choice may run okay.

Could you have this laptop demo'd to you before you buy?

ade.h 22:24 17 Oct 05

Should be "conducive". Can't type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…