laptop advice

mpez 11:39 12 Sep 06

Hi, my son is soon to be going to uni and we are looking to buy a laptop. He needs an operating system capable of connecting to an Ethernet TCP/IP network with a 10/100 Ethernet Network interface card and a straight through RJ45 UTP network cable. Does a laptop come with these? I have no idea (lol) or do we need to buy these seaprately. Any advice would be grateful. The other option is a wireless capable of connecting to 802.11b/g network with wireless network interface card 802.11b/g. Any advice would be grateful. Where would be the best place to but one from.

Many thanks
mpez

De Marcus™ 13:02 12 Sep 06

Pretty much any modern laptop will have what you want.

Except the cable, which if you buy your notebook from a high street retailer you can probably haggle for a free one as they only cost a couple of quid.

What you've neglected to tell the forum is your budget and what the notebooks primary uses will be. Tell us them and suggestions should be forthcoming.

mpez 13:29 12 Sep 06

my budget would be around £400 - £500 max. He is going on business management course, so really its just for research doing course work etc and communicating to friends and family.

mpez

De Marcus™ 13:53 12 Sep 06

Nothing to strenuous then.
Just about anyone from click here should fit the bill except for the IBM R60e (although it does have 10/100 networking, just no wireless).

wjrt 14:07 12 Sep 06

if he can wait for delivery
click here

mpez 14:40 12 Sep 06

thanks De Marcus™ and wjrt for your help, will have a look.

thanks again
mpez

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017