Laptop

metropolas 14:52 19 Feb 10

Hi everyone :)

My sister is looking to replace her old laptop. She doesn't want to go any higher than 450 - will be for everyday use, not into heavy downloading, etc. Any idea's what she could get for her money? What would be a more than reasonable hard drive capacity for everyday use - 250? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved :)

James

babybell 15:49 19 Feb 10

I'd recommened Dell. Have always recommended them to family members over the years and have never had any troubles.

Reliable and they have laptops starting from £299!

If the laptop is not being used for gaming then any modern laptop will be more than capable of doing everyday tasks.

click here

metropolas 16:56 19 Feb 10

Is it better to have more memory or a faster processor? Found a core i3 for 399 or a dual core for 399 - which is better for everyday use - Core i3 or dual core? Also which is better - DDR2 Ram or DDR3 - core i3 has DDR3 Ram, dual core has DDR2?

ame 17:33 19 Feb 10

I think you need to be more specific on processor models, as there are many different varieties of a base model. But I would guess that the i3 will be faster, and DDR3 is better than DDR2. In general terms, get the fastest processor and ensure the RAM can be added to in future if necessary. You can easily add RAM if there are spare solts but you cant upgrade the processor easily if at all.

sunnystaines 17:56 19 Feb 10

go for centrino with built in wifi

ame 18:11 19 Feb 10

No harm in a bit of future-proofing with a better processor if you can afford it. Be careful where you buy from, and what make it is. Where did you find these 2 laptops? £400 for an i3 sounds cheap, no?.

metropolas 18:26 19 Feb 10

The i3 was 399 on Dell's website, Inspiron something or other. Thanks for all the replies - you've really helped :)

metropolas 18:26 19 Feb 10

The i3 was 399 on Dell's website, Inspiron something or other. Thanks for all the replies - you've really helped :)

ame 18:43 19 Feb 10

click here on the Dell website I presume? Will suit you fine, I reckon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5