Land of leather - cooling off period wrong advice?

VNAM75 12:04 11 Jan 08

I ordered a sofa suite from them on new years day on the internet for £699. They took a deposit of £175 and emailed me to say the balance would be collected when the item is in stock and ready for delivery.

Yesterday the online price dropped to £599 and I contacted them to reduce the price by £100. They said they wouldn't/can't do that, but they would meet half way and reduce it by £50. I pointed out that I could just cancel the order and start a new order on the lower price.

They said I couldn't do that because the 7 day cooling off period had expired and I would lose my deposit. I eventually settled on a further £20 discount off (£70 off in total). I checked a BBC article and think they have advised me wrongly because I haven't received the goods yet and they are counting from the day the order/deposit was taken not when the goods are delivered. And they say the 7 day only applies if there is a fault with the item which I think is also wrong.

Should I contact to get the extra £30 off or stick with the £70 discount?

MAJ 12:10 11 Jan 08

The idea of the 7 day period, is so that you can examine the goods, it doesn't start until the day after you receive the goods.

MAJ 12:13 11 Jan 08

By the way, you have to inform them that you will be cancelling, via email, letter or fax ("durable media"), to cancel via phone doesn't count. Keep records if you do intend to cancel.

VNAM75 12:39 11 Jan 08

I have just contacted them and they still insist on saying "its stated on the order confirmation" that the 7 day period applies from the order date. I told them that I don't care what it states on the order confirmation, the law is that it starts from the day of receipt of the goods. They just repeated what they said.

This was after she had spoken to her manager and said their policy was right but they agreed to take off the full £100 as a price match. They said if I were to order again (eh?) the 7 day period would still apply from the order date. I couldn't be bothered to argue or correct them. I got the £100 discount and thats all I care about.

If they're too stupid to recognise basic consumer law and get complaints in future its their problem. I'm surprised that such a big company is so knowledge lacking of the law.

oresome 15:54 11 Jan 08

The distance selling regulations don't apply to "personalised goods or goods made to a consumer's specification"

If the furniture was made to order in a particular covering, I expect the retailer could argue that the DSR doesn't apply because of the above exception.

All immaterial now as you got a result.

VNAM75 16:15 11 Jan 08

No it wasn't personalised. It was the as advertsied product on the website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac