LAN game for students

altecsole 09:16 09 Oct 03

Can anybody recommend a network game that we can use in our school at lunchtimes? It will be run on a maximum of 20 machines running on our network over tcp/ip. The machines are Duron 850MHz, 256 Mb, 20 Gb, 8 Mb S3 Trio3D/2X graphics card. The operating system is Windows 2000. There are no CD-ROM drives installed on the machines so the game will have to be copied and run from the hard drive.

I know that up to date games are out but is there a game out there that is maybe a couple of years old that will run okay? Obviously it will need to be suitable for 11 - 16 year olds - we don't want parents complaining too much!

The game will be used as an aide to good behaviour - if you don't behave, you don't get to play.

tenaka 10:24 09 Oct 03

uh-oh, you used the word "copied" so I think I should use the word "licences"

As you are a school, you've got to keep yourself pretty clean and legal. So once you have chosen a game, you've got to obtain 20 legal copies of the game.

Then you've got to somehow remain legal whilst having them installed without a CD-Rom drive.

There are places you can get no-cd patches for them but I'm not sure how the licence issue is affected if you use them even when you have a legitimate copy/licence for each installation.

There are plenty of shareware games you can run that avoid most of this but you will most likely find that games for free or on the cheap aren't good enough to give the kids something to look forward to. Remember half of them will probably be more used to Halo etc. Somehow, a variation of solitaire doesn't quite compare.

altecsole 12:17 09 Oct 03

Thanks for your reply tenaka

I use the word 'copied' because we have no CD-ROM drives installed (get broken far too easily) and the software would have to be copied to the local hard drive. I am aware that we need to purchase a copy of the software for each machine that it's installed on.

Once I've identified a couple of games that might fit the bill I'll look at the technical side of things - like how we licence and run it. We're not looking to do things on the cheap. We just want to be able to offer the kids something to do at lunchtimes and hope that it proves popular. Hopefully, if it proves popular, we can use it as a tool for encouraging good behaviour (bad behaviour - no games club).

Any game recommendations?

chrishillcoat 12:26 09 Oct 03

Hmm...

One of the Quakes, or Unreal Tournament, or Counter-strike would probably run on your systems, but might be a bit gory...!

Alternatively some sort of strategy game like Total Annihilation: can be a bit picky to set up over TCP/IP but it's a great game and the timescale is about right for a quick game.

Chris

PªūĽ ? ♂ 13:11 09 Oct 03

Theres alway Enemy territory, The free standalone multiplayer spin off from Return to castle wolfenstien. Its not too gory I dont think and would probably have the option to turn off any blood. click here

Hyperangelic 14:11 09 Oct 03

There are great strategy games out there that are not as violent but not babyish either. I play on a single computer so I'm not aware of the potential for networking but here are a few of the most fun...

1503 AD
Age of Wonders I and II
Settlers
Pharaoh
Caesar III

soy 14:29 09 Oct 03

My old University used to have a computer club held every wednestday afternoons. They play First Person shooters like Counter strike and return to castle wolfenstein.

These games are pretty old now and you can get them really cheap.

Jester2K II 14:54 09 Oct 03

But are they suitable for 11-18 year olds??

tenaka 15:26 09 Oct 03

There are several types of game;

Racing
1st person
arcade
puzzle
strategy

and prolly a few more i can't think of right now.

What types are you looking for?

You know the students better than we do so you are more likely to have some idea as to what games they want to play.

Also with 20 pc's, all in use, you will probalby find that unless you play the 1st person type, that not all of them will be in the same game at the same time.

altecsole 16:18 09 Oct 03

Thanks for posting.

Not sure what type of game. To be honest I don't play that many PC games. A racing game would be popular, as would football. I'm sure a 1st person shooter would be too, but it can't be too violent. I think maybe a strategy game might be difficult for some students to get into. I would think that the game would need to be fairly easy to pick up and play.

I would hope that I would be able to setup the game on one computer and then for the others to join in. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

tenaka 17:23 09 Oct 03

1st person games tend to allow people to join and leave on the fly.

Soccer, racing, strategy games tend to expect all players to be present at the time the game is started.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…