Kindle 3G

rickf 12:15 19 Oct 13
Answered

Do you use the above? If so what do you use the 3G for on the device. Thinking of getting one but of two minds as I already have a good tablet and may just download the kindle app. The advantage of the Kindle is that it has a very long battery life.

Pine Man 12:58 19 Oct 13

Reading with a tablet is nothing like reading with a Kindle.

You need perfect conditions to read ebooks with a tablet, which includes the Kindle Fire. With a straightforward Kindle, particularly the Paperwhite you can read in any light from darkness to brilliant sunshine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 19 Oct 13

The 3G bit just means you can download (order books) form anyway rather than need a wifi signal. You can also browse using 3G but the kindle is not really for browsing.

However so many places do free wifi now that its not worth the extra cost to go 3G.

I have a older wireless kindle (non touch /non backlit) as well as a nexus pad with a kindle app, still find it much preferable to read on the kindle.

As stated above you cannot use a pad in bright sunlight but the kindle is good in those conditions.

rickf 14:01 19 Oct 13

Good to read feedback. I actually prefer books but its the light weight and portability of the kindle which is attractive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 19 Oct 13

I was the same until I bought the Kindle, had it a couple of years now, can also put some of my work documents on it.

My small local library ha been undergoing refurbishment for the last six months and I used to be in there fortnightly. Now with 5000 ebooks on my PC I don't think I will ever have to go again as I have more book then they have on the shelves :0)

currently working my way through

Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody stories

Lee Child Jack Reacher books

and Philip K Dick scifi stories

sunnypete 14:39 19 Oct 13

Fruit Bat that's a lot of books, do they cost?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 19 Oct 13

Depending on age new ebooks are similar price to printed but prices drop rapidly.

There are a lot of free books to be had just google and Aazon have free and very cheap books 99p.

Computer fairs (went to one a few months ago ) sell collections on DVD quite cheaply must have been legal because the police were there and ignoring the sellers.

The majority of my books came via the Navy.

canarieslover 16:30 19 Oct 13

Fully agree that its a Kindle for reading and tablet for web browsing. A friend bought Kindle Fire last year and cursed that she had given her e-reader to her husband and that she could only read indoors. I have got the keyboard/3G Kindle and have tried using the web browser on that but it really is hard work so I bought the Nexus for web browsing, e-mail, playing music, films (ripped to AVI) and even some general home office work while on holiday.

Forum Editor 17:18 19 Oct 13

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

rickf 17:44 20 Oct 13
Answer

Think I'll wait till the HDX comes out the price of others would come tumbling down. So in the new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…