Kelloggs "Free" Cornflakes and Milk

PalaeoBill 22:29 18 Oct 09

Plastered across my Bran Flakes box is an offer for a free pack of Cornflakes and a pint of milk. In nice, clear print on the box are the instructions for claiming.
1. Collect 3 unique codes from inside the promotional packs. There is one code per pack.
2. Visit the kelloggsreward uk web site and enter the 3 unique codes.
3. Follow the instructions to download and print your coupons for a FREE box of ....

I know I shouldn't have been suprised by what happens when you go to the kelloggsreward uk web site but I collected the boxes and off I went.

What they fail to mention on the box is that you are immediately taken to a 3rd party web site and you have to sign up to a loyalty network run by Coinks(R) before you are allowed to enter the 3 unique codes. The sign up process demands your name, post code, e-mail address, gender and date of birth. You then have to accept Coinks(R) terms and conditions and Privacy Policy before you can continue.

I don't know about you but I value my personal information above that of a box of cereal and a pint of milk.

I thought better of Kelloggs. Shame on them.

Forum Editor 23:04 18 Oct 09

Why? They're doing nothing wrong.

The Coinks system is used by lots of companies, and at no time will Coinks disclose your personal information without your consent. You do not provide a postal address, and you cannot be personally identified by any information that Coinks passes to a contributing company.

You can even opt out of receiving any marketing information. Your personal information isn't compromised in any way, and it might have been an idea to look into the system more closely before sounding off about one of the world's most famous brands. It's all there, on the Coinks website.

PalaeoBill 23:19 18 Oct 09

Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but even so I'm staggered that you think there is nothing wrong with this.
I did look closely into this before sounding off. It not Coinks I have a problem with it the fact that Kelloggs used them with no mention of this fact on the box. Regardless of how secure your personal info might be or the available opt out clauses, Coinks are collecting it (including your name and post code).

Quiet Life 00:30 19 Oct 09

PalaeoBill
Could not agree with you more. Kellogs should have made it clear it was being handled by a third party. Personal information requested is a far cry from merely printing out your coupons.
I would make the point to Kellogs that you have been misled by the terms of their offer and not what you would expect from a reputable company.
I think the F.E. has missed the point . You should not have to look into anything it is Kellogs who should have spelled out the system.

on a box. Once you go on to the website to take up the offer, it is immidiately clear that a third party is involved - they don't try to hide that. If you then choose not to take up the offer, as you have done, then there is no harm done.

morddwyd 05:57 19 Oct 09

"They're doing nothing wrong."

Neither were the MPs with creative expenses claims.

jack 10:56 19 Oct 09

Cornflakes/BranFlakes and other serial products and change to good old porrage
It will benefit both your body and your pocket.

oldbeefer2 13:48 19 Oct 09

Porridge (if that's what you meant!)certainly didn't do Ronnie Barker any harm!

crosstrainer 16:24 19 Oct 09

Is fine, My insurance company sent me a voucher for 3 bottles of wine as a reward for remaining with them for another year.

All done via Coinks, and as the FE (and the T&C's on the Coinks site) point out, at no time will your details be sold on to a third party.

spuds 18:29 19 Oct 09

This sort of marketing is on the increase, especially as very little information regarding third parties is usually not mentioned until you have entered the website stage and perhaps beyond.

As for the 'non-disclosure' of information to further parties is not a 100% guarantee. You only need to look at some reports, perhaps covering certain call centre employees, who have been caught selling client information for criminal purposes.

Personally I would rather buy a 1kg box of honey peanut cornflakes plus a 4 pint container of milk from Aldi for £1.98. Saves all the bother and hassle ;o))

Forum Editor 21:29 19 Oct 09

with no mention of this fact on the box."

Would you have been any wiser if you had seen the name 'Coinks' on the box?

In the real world no company is going to give away free products without there being a marketing advantage of some kind. I repeat, Coinks is used by dozens of high-profile companies, and I've yet to hear anything bad about the company. Common-sense dictates that they wouldn't be in business for five minutes if they compromised anybody's personal data. They rely absolutely on a reputation for strict privacy policies, which is why world-famous brands like Kellogs use their service

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…