rupie 17:58 16 Apr 05

I am myserious to know what download speeds people actually get from their broadband connections. Could you let me know in Kbps and what you are paying for. Some of my friends get total different speeds for what is the same advertised service.
It would be interesting to do a little consumer test to see if we really get anywhere near what we pay for and how much it fluctuates.
There are loads of speed tests on the internet

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:05 16 Apr 05

The speed is influenced by the number of users online at any time, the volume of traffic on the net, the server status and the status of your local links and telephone lines. If you pay for a 2Mb connection that is the maximum not the constant that you will achieve for surfing, downloads will, be a lot less. Therefore it would be utterly pointless to run any comparisons.

bremner 19:02 16 Apr 05

As G says it various enormously.

I am on 2MB and can get anything from 180 - 240kbps on downloads

Pooke100 20:08 16 Apr 05

NTL 2 meg connection and I got 16kbps on one download from nero updates and 280kbps (went upto 340 kbps at one point) on another at roughly the same time. There is just too many variables to compare.

Forum Editor 23:08 16 Apr 05

Comparison tests on downstream speeds are completely pointless, due to the number of variable influences at work at any given time.

rupie 10:27 17 Apr 05

I understand there are many variables but I want to build a picture of how close or how far what people get if from what they pay for. So it would be nice for people to send me their results and get as many people to do the same, infact if you get different results at different times then let me know this as well. THANKS

bremner 11:58 17 Apr 05

Any picture will be hopelessly inaccurate and have no valid meaning.

The download testers on the web are in the main useless. I have just tried ADSL Guide, McAfee, PC Pitstop and Soulution4sure one after the other.

All gave wildly different speed readings.

Pooke100 12:07 17 Apr 05

1.8 megabits per second

Communications 1.8 megabits per second
Storage 217.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.7 seconds
Subjective rating Great

done at 12 o clock on bandwidthplace.com

Broadband Speed Test Results
Results from broadband speed test recorded on Sunday, 17 April 2005, 12:02. (adsl guide)

Your Connection

Direction - Actual Speed - True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1917 Kbps (239.6 KB/sec) 2070 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 189 Kbps (23.6 KB/sec) 204 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Within two minutes of each other and the results are different.

DieSse 02:30 18 Apr 05

Do you get what you pay for?

Read the small print in your contract - you will probably be surprised how low the guaranteed speed is, if there even is one.

Several (Spanish) contracts that I read, for a 512Kbps connection, guaranteed a minimum of just 10% of the rated speed. I can't see any reasons why BT would be wildly different.

It would be interesting to see what a selection of UK contracts say.

rupie 11:00 18 Apr 05

I have asked people other than you lot to send me their results and it seems that people are quite happy to be happy with rubbish downloadspeeds. To promise only 10% is rubbish. Bremner gets between 180 and 250 kbps on a 2meg line. 2meg is 2000kbps and so they only set upto 12% of what they pay for .
What do people have as a minimum speed on their contracts, and has anyone ever got 50% of the speed they are paying for ???

Ancient Learner 11:48 18 Apr 05

But rupie, isn't that the point that is being made here, we don't really know a speed to quote, as it not only is in a constant state of change, the source of the speed readings give us different speeds.

Five minutes ago my speed per ADSL was 469Kbps and is the same now. According to McAfee it has gone up from 212Kbps to 400Kbps in the last 5 minutes.

Incidently my connection is supposed to be 512Kbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…