Kaspersky Security

frybluff 16:29 PM 24 May 12

A friend of mine recently had her laptop stolen, in a burglary. She's rather "fallen on her feet", as her insurer have actually offered her a much better one, as replacement.

My only slight concern is that it will have a trial version of Kaspersky. I've never had it , myself, so I'm unsure whether to advise her to keep it, and upgrade, or take it off, and put something else on, for her. As she's not the most "security minded", she needs something that more, or less, runs itself, quitely, in the background.

Any advice, on Kaspersky, or a reasonable alternative, would be much appreciated.

SimpleSimon1 17:45 PM 24 May 12

de-install it, and put on the free Microsoft Security Essentials. My father is as non-technical as they come and when he got his new PC, I put MSE on it. It is totally transparent, light on system resources, auto updates silently an - according to testing - has a good detection capacity.

Although MSE is meant to also be good for spyware, I would be tempted to team it up with free SpywareBlaster. Do that and she's good to go (although she will need to know the 3-click sequence to update SpywareBlaster from time to time)

tigertop2 17:49 PM 24 May 12

Totally agree about Microsoft Security Essentials. It is becoming clearer every day why it has risen to second in a couple of years in the programmes of choice for security

polish 19:15 PM 24 May 12

i have kaspersky and it never causes me any problems updates itself and doesnt slow down the pc

D@ve 00:52 AM 25 May 12

Kaspersky is a very well regarded security suite, so if she's happy to pay what it costs then it's a very good choice, otherwise go for Microsoft Security Essentials as others have said.

If you do choose Kaspersky, you will often find it available online in CD format cheaper than simply upgrading it online from within the application itself, so probably worth the effort of having a look first.

D@ve 01:00 AM 25 May 12
  Woolwell 22:22 PM 25 May 12

A rival magazine tested anti-virus recently and MSE didn't do too well. Avast was one of the better free ones. Kaspersky did quite well but Norton did better. You can get Faspersky free with Barclays online banking.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things