Karoo, broadband that is really narrow

Tribal-Wolf 16:07 10 Jun 07

I am moving to Hull quite soon and I'm dreading getting broadband as they only have one supplier, Karoo. I have friends there who pay £30 a month for an up to 8mb connection yet have never gotten better than 3mb. Most days its not even 1mb. There does not seem to be any plans for virgin or any other adsl company moving into that area so the choice or lack of it is very frustrating. I think what amazes me more than anything is everyone I have spoken too about it say they would switch in a heartbeat given the chance yet nobody has grasped this potential business. It must be nice for Karoo to sit there in the position fo 'take our abysmal service or have none', but personally I think the monopoly should be ended and let people have the choice they deserve in this country.

smokingbeagle 16:38 10 Jun 07

An explanation of the issue.
click here

I live in London and used to be with Eclipse. Customer Service ,speed and reliability declined steadily after Kingston Communications took them over. You have my sympathies.

sooz68 17:44 10 Jun 07

Having used Karoo's ADSL service since the day it was launched I have had very few problems. The 'up to' 8mb package is just that, as with any ADSL the further you are from the exchange the slower the speed you will get. In all the years I have used the service there has only been 2 major server outages, both of which were fixed within a few hours. I find their customer service and tech team extremely helpful. Their prices have come down over the past couple of years and the monopoly they have in Hull is because other companies don't see the city as having a large enough population to make paying KC for their lines viable. I mailed Virgin Media to ask if they had any plans to come to Hull - I didn't even receive a reply! Karoo is a reasonably priced, reliable service and my answer to you would be if you don't like it ... don't move to Hull!

kcdylan 20:49 26 Sep 07

Well despite the post above (which I'm guessing is from a Karoo employee) you'll probably find that quite a few people have the occasional issue with Karoo. Check out the Unofficial Karoo Forums at click here for the low down, or to chat to other karoo users.

Portal11 15:14 14 May 11

Tribal-Wolf

hi, im from Beverley nr hull but moved to hull some years ago, i didnt see this thread when u created it so il just add my bit if its ok, Karoo are notorious for advertising speeds that are not achievable! we moved to lincolnshire some months ago & regards to Broadband we have never looked back.

We was paying £35 a month for 10 meg 99.9% of the time i was only able to achieve 8 at a push 10 BUT they advertised speeds of "Upto" 25 meg! well let me tell you i know thousands and thousands of people and my family are well known there in hull and having over a thousand people on my Facebook account i asked all the people from hull if anyone can reach the advertised speeds.? they wasnt one single person..!!

I am now on Virgins 50Meg and i am getting 50 meg 99.5% of the time! my pc is a QuadCore extreme and it loves it! Karoo have to change in some forms either be more transparent about the speeds they offer or invest into Fibre Optics..

Now that your there in hull what do you think??

Woolwell 16:24 14 May 11

The OP will have had nearly 4 years of experience! Very old thread.

Portal11 00:16 15 May 11

woolwell oh dear i didnt realise that! thanks for letting me know lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5