Just found this, safe or not?

Gaz 25 23:26 09 Apr 04

click here

It doesnt have very good contact information, and is not registered with the government, but its owned my kickshops.co.uk which IS registered, and Klickshops LTD is owned by click here

Any ideas, I have reported this to the DTi, just wondering if they are legal or not?

And if not, stay away from them.

Forum Editor 00:01 10 Apr 04

that this business "is not registered with the government", and what exactly you mean by that?

I'm also puzzled by your comment that the company "doesnt have very good contact information". I think that three email addresses, one telephone number and a full postal address is pretty good, compared to many sites I see.

I can't see why you've reported the company to the DTI - they're doing nothing wrong that I can see, and if they're not a Limited company they don't have to "register" with anyone, other than the Inland revenue and Customs and Excise (for VAT).

Gaz 25 00:06 10 Apr 04

Ok, I see...

But whats odd is a whois brings up a PO BOX?

I was considering this, but it sounds like a get rich quick and thats it idea...

Would you risk it?

Gaz 25 00:10 10 Apr 04

Its only it looks a little too good to be true, they create a website, manage stock and account, you make the profit...

Easy as that... Wonder if it really does happen or they run away with the 165 quid upfront payment?

Talented Monkey 00:52 10 Apr 04

ive had a good look and cant see anything wrong, have you read the FAQs? These people want you to sell thier products for what ever profit you want.

Obviosuly the only problem with this is that there could be hundreds if not thousands of other people with identical websites selling identical prodcuts for all sorts of prices, good new for Money Link as they sell more of their products, bad news for you as you will be in competition with alot of other people selling same thing, and will probebly have to sell products for hardly any profit to stay competitive. As for contact info its more than satisfactory.

Personally i would not go for deals like this, alot easier to set up your own website, trawl through trade mags and pick and choose qulity brand names to sell, rather than products you are told to.

Gaz 25 00:55 10 Apr 04

Talented Monkey...

Thats what I am currently doing, but... still difficult and I am responsibe for warranties, where as that deal they manage that for you,

Forum Editor 08:52 10 Apr 04

as some of the companies who offer this service tend to make out. In many respects it's harder to attract customers to an e-commerce shop than it is if you have a conventional retail premises in the high street. At least in that scenario there are hundreds of people walking past your door, and they can't help but see what it is you are offering.

In an online situation nobody knows you're there - people don't just come surfing past unless they have good reason. This is the single biggest cause of the failure of online businesses - it looks so easy doesn't it? Set up a nice-looking site, cut your prices to the bone, and wait for the money to come rolling in. People forget about all the setbacks - the need to spend hours, days, weeks on promoting the site, then worrying about card transactions (you lose the money if a credit card is used fraudulently, not the card company), order fulfilment (how do you get parcels to Japan quickly, and how much does it cost?). Currency conversion rates can also be a problem, particularly if the dollar or the Yen or the Deutschmark suddenly takes an upturn.

Then there's the necessity to comply with the distance selling regulations, the sale of goods to consumers regulations - to say nothing of VAT. What do you do if dozens of parcels suddenly turn up on the doorstep, 'rejected' within the 7 day cooling off period?

This isn't to say that you can't make money in an e-commerce operation, you can, and thousands do, but it is far from being as easy as some people would have you believe. Ask yourself one simple question - "why should people buy from me, rather than from my hundreds of competitors?" Find a good way of ensuriong that they do just that, and you'll be on your way to your first million - fail, and you'll be joining a huge club.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:18 10 Apr 04

'is not registered with the government'...it does not have to be, AFAIK we are not residing in China. There is no legal requirement to be 'registered' with the Government

'But whats odd is a whois brings up a PO BOX?'....Wellcome Glaxo and some Govt.Departments use PO Boxes..I fail to see a problem, good enough for them good enough for me. Money-Link 527 Canterbury Street Gillingham Kent ME7 5LF would appear to be an address rather than a PO Box.

'I was considering this, but it sounds like a get rich quick and thats it idea'...that is your perception. Instead of sticking the boot in how about a bit of encouragement for a British company.

Anyone with a grain of sense would realise that starting ANY business will not be easy especially Internet based. If Amazon, Last Minute.com and most other sites are in an overall loss the warning bells should be ringing aloud but I fail to see any con and it is not like they are forcing you to join. Why not ring them on their help line with a few pertinent questions?

'Wonder if it really does happen or they run away with the 165 quid upfront payment?'...let's get real, this would not be the end of the world, £16.5 million jumping off building time, £165 getting off butt and doing a bit more graft. It would take 8 night's bar work to recoup the loss. If losing £165 would be the end of anyone's world then they should not really be considering such a venture.

G

Belatucadrus 11:56 10 Apr 04

Seems to have gone, maybe the DTI agreed with Gaz 25. (Doubt it though, never heard of anybody in government moving that quickly.)

spuds 12:03 10 Apr 04

I get a number of mailshots offering me similar schemes as the website matter refered. The people who conduct this type of 'offer' are fully aware of what they suggest and broadcast, so it is pointless thinking that the DTI would be interested.In fact they are better than some of the 'hidden behind a domain name' company, at least they have covered many questions regarding their business and methods of contact.

Like all these schemes and offers, you consider the facts, then make you own decisions, and if it is for you, then go for it, otherwise steer clear.

Gaz 25 15:08 10 Apr 04

Yeah.

Thanks for all the comments... BTW the website is still there and no word from the DTi.

I was a little warry of giving card details gandalf, more than I was about £165 quid.

Ok, thanks again.

Regards,
Gareth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…