Just bought my first real gadget

Sapins 09:07 10 Jul 05

I have just bought a Microsoft Fingerprint Reader purely because I thought it was just a gadget, but having now used it I find that logging in to sites is very quick and easy and it also means I can now use longer and more complicated passwords and not worry about forgetting them.

It does tell you, on the packaging, in the supplied small user manual and in the software, that you should not use it for details of any site you use for sensitive and/or financial information, but, as I don't bank on-line or hold any sensitive information on the computer, that's not a problem, although it would seem impossible for anyone to log on without my fingerprint!

Must go now, I'm looking though my favourites to see if I can use it for any other sites :-)

Stuartli 09:33 10 Jul 05

Fascinating and clearly to become more widespread - but what happens if you injured the relevant finger?

Forum Editor 10:11 10 Jul 05

with a fingerprint reader for quite a while now, but after the first flush of excitement at the technology involved I stopped using the reader, and reverted to typing my password. I found the reader wasn't 100% reliable - it sometimes takes a few tries before it recognises my fingerprint, and I haven't got time for all that.

Forum Editor 10:12 10 Jul 05

You can program the reader to recognise several fingers.

spuds 10:13 10 Jul 05

Aldi were selling these devices a short time back. Didn't seem to be selling very well, and ended up at a reduced price. Wish I had bought one now, just for the experiment.

Sapins 10:24 10 Jul 05

You can register all your fingers if you wish and so far it hasn't failed to recognise my registered fingerprints first time, every time, touch glass!

FE, maybe the glass is dirty, I clean it by rolling a piece of Blue Tack over it, comes up like new.

Pooke 11:16 10 Jul 05

Did you buy it as a standalone or built into the keyboard? I have been wondering about these for a while.

Pooke

Sapins 11:37 10 Jul 05

Bought it as a standalone from Amazon, £29-35 + UK delivery, but I think this is free at the moment. It is magic, go for it,

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 11:38 10 Jul 05

Sorry Pooke, VAT extra :-(

Forum Editor 11:52 10 Jul 05

and it looks very snazzy - impresses visiting clients no end.

Sapins - many thanks for the Bluetack tip - I'll try it. The MS keyboard version isn't glass however, it's that soft-touch plastic with a slightly tacky surface, and it does get covered with.....fingerprints.

Pooke 12:07 10 Jul 05

PCW has the keyboard for click here

Might get the standalone as it's glass (and apparently better) I'll just have to convince the other half that it's worthwhile.

Pooke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…