John Lewis Laptop Repair

flycatcher1 18:33 27 Dec 06

A family member's laptop has been with John Lewis for an in-guarantee repair. So far they have had it for a month.
How long should be allowed for a repair and what is the legal position ?

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 27 Dec 06

There is no legally defined time scale which is a source of many problems.

The legal position is that they must repair / repair in a reasonable time but no one states what that time is.

Kate B 19:03 27 Dec 06

I'd gently chase them, but John Lewis is usually very good.

flycatcher1 19:09 27 Dec 06

Thanks for the prompt replies.
I do not think that a month is a reasonable time.
JL have been prompted but - difficulty with parts !

spuds 19:36 27 Dec 06

In the case of a repair, a reasonable time could be classed as one month, but it appears as though there is a difficulty or shortage of parts. On that basis, I would suggest that you contact John Lewis, for further advice. John Lewis would possibly use a third party for repair work, and their methods could be different to John Lewis methods in these circumstances.

How old is the laptop, and was this purchased by credit card.

jack 20:26 27 Dec 06

JL are almost certainly in the hands of a repairer so though your contract is with them they are stuffed to put it bluntly if the outside firm is having problems of their own.

flycatcher1 22:29 27 Dec 06

I will pass on all the advice, thank you.
The laptop was just in the 2 year JL Guarantee Period and was paid for by Credit Card.

spuds 22:38 27 Dec 06

John Lewis are fairly good regarding resolving these matters, but should there appear to be 'extended' problems, then the credit card company will have 'equal liability' in also resolving the matter under the terms of section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Forum Editor 00:18 28 Dec 06

John Lewis won't be doing the work themselves, as the others have confirmed - your machine will have gone to a third-party repair company, and JL are in their hands to a large degree.

It's certainly worth asking them to update you again if you haven't received the computer back in a couple of weeks time.

anchor 10:51 28 Dec 06

I recall about 4 years ago, when my Toshiba notebook went wrong, JL loaned me one whilst it was away for repair.

Obviously, this was unusual, but they cannot expect you to wait indefinitely. As FE says, give it a couple of weeks more, and if still no return, contact the store manager and insist on a replacement.

shellship 12:03 28 Dec 06

Not quite the same thing except in principle. The sensor on my Pentax Optio 550 packed in (well out of guarantee) but because it was going to take at least three months for the part to be obtained in Germany they offered me a new A20 for their minimum repair cost of £100. Needless to say I accepted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…