Jessops, whats up?

dwaynedibbly 22:12 04 Aug 09

Been thinking about getting a digital SLR camera.
Thought I would have a look at Jessops. Internet site gives a good price for the kit I want (Canon 450d twin Lens approx £650).
Going on holiday in about 7 weeks and saw their option to buy now and pay in six months interest free.
Excellent, just what I want. Allows me to purchase a good camera for the holiday, and lets me budget for it, on return to Blighty and work.
Popped in to local Jessops and spoke with very nice young lady who after several blank expressions, and statements that, "The Internet is different from us `ere in store." Gave it her best by phoning a couple of customer service numbers she had written on a scrap of paper pinned to the wall next to the rather large and expensive photo processor.
No joy there.
To the cries of (from me), "I`ll call back when Dave the manger is back off rest days". I left thinking, okay, benefit of the doubt. I may get some joy on the internet site.
Wrong.
several phone calls and promises of, "I will get customer services to call you back." Nothing heard four days later.
I have now purchased via Argos, who run a similar deal, exactly what I wanted from Jessops.

Jessops, what is up with you??
No wonder you`re telling your share holders their stock is worth diddly.
You obviously don`t care diddly.
click here
You will never get out of the hole if you don`t have a shovel.

dagnammit 23:37 04 Aug 09

I turned away from Jessops a while ago. Always managed to find cheaper elsewhere, even on the High Street.

spuds 23:47 04 Aug 09

Jessops were the forerunners of camera sales and good advice, but over the past couple of years or more, they have financial problems, changes of managements and shop closures. Perhaps it as now got to the point when the staff and a lot of the old faithful customers have lost faith and its now the time to call it a day!.

ened 06:01 05 Aug 09

I wanted a new lens for my camera:

Amazon £399
Local (small) Shop £420
Jessops £450

I mentoned the local price to the (increasingly less knowledgeable or interested)chap in Jessops and he said they would match the local price.

I didn't like that so I went back to the local place and he met me halfway: we agreed on £410.

You would have thought that Jessops should have been able to beat the price of a small retailer and I deduce that they are just being greedy, because they used top have a reputation for being the cheapest.

jack 08:29 05 Aug 09

operate their 'Web sales' as a separate entity- A separate firm if you will- than the high street branches.
This is certainly true with M&S John Lewis and dare I mention it here -DSG
Although at JL you can order to collect 'instore' it is still a separate operation - partner' Company if you will any any queries are directed to the mail side the store would not deal.

red1977 08:46 05 Aug 09

A ladder rather than a shovel would be better for getting out of a hole

Nice name, love the show :)

oresome 10:06 05 Aug 09

Let's assume for the sake of argument that all high street retailers close shop.

Will you be happy buying blind via the internet? That will be the inevitable outcome if all consumers become very price conscious.

Having said that, many high street retailers don't help themselves. I went with my daughter round the local retailers to purchase a micro Hi-Fi. The one we had in mind could be purchased online for £120. Several shops had it on their shelves at £180. But not one of them had a working unit you could actually listen to. Excuse usually is that they can't get a radio signal in store or if they switch it on , it can't then be sold as new.

They will have to offer something that can't be got via the internet if they are to persuade people to part with more cash than is necessary and stay in business.

Stuartli 10:13 05 Aug 09

Try and name something that cannot be bought on the internet...:-)

The problem for normal retailers is that their overheads, compared to an internet based outlet, are generally much higher.

donki 10:30 05 Aug 09

I bought my 450d In November with the twin lens and got the 6 months intrest free no questions asked. I also got staff discound which was handy as I have a few friends that work there. I agree that the prices are higher but most high street retailers are, they give you the benifit of walking in and trying then buying. I only really use high street stores for intrest free finance.

ened 13:31 05 Aug 09

I agree with you but if someone has the gumption to ask for discount, and assuming the product is not flying off their shelves, surely less of a profit is better than no profit.

This is alright with small enterprises but I'm not sure the big chains (Probably for fear of being ripped off by their staff)give the local people enough leeway to negotiate.

spuds 14:34 05 Aug 09

The "can't then be sold as new", is possibly correct for some retailers.

I purchased a 'sales display' Medion monitor from Staples (two well known respected companies). The item came with a 3 year warranty, which I registered as per agreement. Medion accepted the warranty, only to contact me later, stating that the warranty was null and void, because the item was a display model and as such a second user or second hand product. Staples eventually undertook the full 3 year warranty cover, even though Medion did try to offer a goodwill gesture of allowing a 1 year warranty only at a later date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5