Is it worth getting a Soundcard?

I currently have a set of 2.1 Creative I-Trigue 3200 speakers running from my onboard soundcard.

I am now looking into replacing this with a Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card but would it be worth it when using just 2.1 speakers or are the improvments more noticable on 5.1 setups?

Thanks, Dave

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:26 12 Apr 05

I run an onboard AC97 through a set of Creatives and ther eis little difference between that and a seperate soundcard. Good speakers are what to aim for.

G

PsiFox 12:28 12 Apr 05

Ther's not much point getting an Audigy 2 card for a 2.1 setup.

If you want 5.1 however then with a good set of speakers you will notice the difference.

You could consider the Audigy 4 OEM which is available for around the £45 mark. The full retail has a breakout box which bumps the price by over £100.00.

for gaming the 5.1 can really immerse you "in the game"

In order to not disturb others in the house you could also pick ip a set of 5.1 headphones around £40

Thanks Gandalf and PsiFox. Looks like that idea is out the window then until I get 5.1 speakers.

Could you please tell me where you can buy the Audigy 4 OEM? I have had a quick look about but cannot find it.

Also how do 5.1 headphones work? I've never heard of these before? Are they any good?

Al94 13:37 12 Apr 05

Onboard sound on my wife's emachine was a bit weak with evidence of some background noise on quiet tracks. Installed a cheap creative live 5.1 card (ebay)which cured it and made a big difference plus the ability to upgrade to 5.1

PsiFox 14:49 12 Apr 05

EBuyer do the Audigy 4 OEM for around the £40.00 mark

5.1 Headphones are best for gaming but ok for sound films
I have the Speedlink medusa 5.1

seen here

click here

Are you sure you don't mean Audigy 2, not 4? I cannot see it on EBuyer or any other site.

How well do those headphones work? Can you really notice the 5.1 in them?

My room is too small for 5.1 speakers so I'm really tempted by these. Hmmm

Thanks, Dave

Mr Mistoffelees 07:41 13 Apr 05

GANDALF <|:-)> is right that you need good quality speakers. Remember though, that it is the quality of the speakers that matters not the number. More does not mean better, no 5.1 or 7.1 pc speaker setup is ever going to sound as good as a pair of high quality hi-fi stereo speakers, but none will sound any good if driven by a substandard source.

PsiFox 10:25 13 Apr 05

Interestingly although I can find cached pages for the Audigy 4 OEM, most retailers/wholesalers I use have removed it!!!!!!!!!

Re the headphones once you have the levels set the way you like it the effect is really rather good.
I play FPS games on line and can hear when opponents are trying to sneak up behind me.

It is possible to distinguish directions from which snipers, for example (in game) shoot at you.

wee eddie 15:17 13 Apr 05

You could buy a cheap Hi-fi system whose reproduction would blow your PC to the four winds.

I am in agreement with Mr Mistoffelees.

In order to get to the quality of reproduction of a half decent Hi-fi. You need to spend good money on both card and speakers.

Mortticia 16:17 13 Apr 05

"In order to not disturb others in the house you could also pick ip a set of 5.1 headphones around £40 "

Spot on PsiFox,
That is exactly what I did and they are great,unless you're into high quality audio forget the speakers and get headphones instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…