Is it true that a company pay for returns postage?

erkmatrix 14:17 16 Dec 10

Hi I still don't know this and I read somewhere saying that a company has the legal obligation to pay for a item to be return if returned within 7 days or 14 days can't remember which and it's not down to the customer to stump up the cost. Is this true.

I thought it was but have purchased some shoes of a well known fashion shop with an ebay shop and in their returns info it states that I have to pay for returns postage. The shoes sadly don't fit and I want to send them back but it will be around £7-£10 no doubt to send back.

961 14:44 16 Dec 10

This is one of those "grey" areas

If you dig down into the nuts and bolts of distance selling regulations you may well find that the company is obliged to pay return postage

But if you read the terms and conditions of the seller's web site, you'll often find this is confined to a case where the merchandise is "faulty"

This may, or may not, contravene the regulations, but...

I long ago came to the conclusion that there was more to life than starting a mega discussion with the supplier about this and, on the few occasions I've been troubled by such a happening I just send the thing back for a refund and pay the postage. Job done, move on.

However, with folk like Amazon, where I have probably bought many £100's of stuff over the last year, they just don't create any difficulty because they know I'm a good customer and don't complain without reason

erkmatrix 14:44 16 Dec 10

Just found out this, its me that does, I guess I should of known so.

erkmatrix 14:47 16 Dec 10

Sorry just seen your reply 961, yeah, probably best to pay it, well I think I'll do clothes and shoes shopping offline, I'm sick of items never quite fitting or looking nothing like they do in a jpg image and the costs to send things back do add up for basically nothing in return.

961 15:01 16 Dec 10

Clothing and shoes in particular are total trouble buying on line because, unless you have bought before, you just don't know if they are going to fit

M & S for example are worth buying on line if they have a sale where you have bought before and know the size will fit

Cotton Traders don't refund return postage, but if you've bought before the sizes, shoes, trousers etc, will fit. But anything else, you may face a bill

The arguments, whatever the legal position, will drive you nuts. The answer is not to buy from that supplier again

erkmatrix 15:11 16 Dec 10

Yeah true, this is how mad sizes get, I have a jacket I got from asos and it was junk de luxe make, I ordered xl which I normally get so they fit bigger rather than smaller, it was though to small, so I ended up replacing for xxl, no way on earth is it xxl though, it fits perfectly me now though, on the other spectrum I've got 3 Fred Perry shirts and they are medium. And I usually buy extra large or large in polo shirts but the extra large was huge. Every firm seems to have different size guidelines.

oresome 16:15 16 Dec 10

Under the Distance Selling Regulations, the default is that the retailer pays for the return postage.

However, the retailer can change the default by including their return postage policy in their terms and conditions, a copy of which you should receive in a durable form and agree to prior to making the purchase.

erkmatrix 16:31 16 Dec 10

It is certainly an interesting topic this as lots of people seem to have different ideas.

I've asked the retailer and they say in the DSR it says that the retailer has to refund the original item plus the cost of postage and packaging to me, but the return postage costs have to come from the buyer if the unused item is not wanted (cancelled) for whatever reason.

Sheepish 18:43 16 Dec 10

The details are in this government leaflet (see page 12) click here

If you return goods under the DSR you are entitled to a refund of the cost of the goods and the cost of delivering them to you. By default the company can't make you pay for the cost of you sending it back to them, but they can include a term in the contract making you responsible for this cost. So, check the small print, if it says you're responsible for return costs then you are, otherwise they can't make you pay it.

dms_05 08:43 17 Dec 10

I've just had to pay return postage on a book from Amazon. Contents advertised and the actual contents varied dramatically but Amazon said they'd supplied the correct book. Amazon refused to accept their advertised content for the book (size, pages and content) were widely wrong. So goodbye Amazon - forever. Perhaps it was a lesson well learned for only £2.75.

erkmatrix 10:47 17 Dec 10

If its wrongly advertised then no way should you have to pay for the return. I'm sure there would be something in the DSR that states that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now