ISP's that support networking

TS250 22:58 22 May 03

I am in the unfortunate position of being responsible for IT in our office. (I'm no expert I just know a bit more than anyone else) Our current ISP does not run on networked computers. Does anyone know of an reliable ISP that doesn't need a BT phoneline and will run on a network of 7 computers.
Carol

AndySD 23:05 22 May 03

How are you connecting to the ISP.....through a router?

TS250 07:33 23 May 03

Everything is directed through one computer which is currently running on Windows 98, although I'm planning tomake one that runs Windows XP the main one. All the computers link through a box. You'll have to excuse the lack of jargon until 18 months ago I knew nothing about networking and times like this I feel I still don't
Carol

davidg_richmond 08:42 23 May 03

If its a router then it will have something like 'Cisco' written on it, will have lots of flashing lights, and connections for networking that look like slightly larger and flatter modem connections (the computer end).

If it's ISDN there will be a BT box on the wall with at least two connections running to the Win98 computer.

It's quite likely that the current connection can be networked - the PC you mention can use 'internet connection sharing' over the network if I remember right.

AndySD 19:56 23 May 03

I would sugest you get a Router/firewall (click here for example) and attach the internet connection to this instead of the pc then connect this into the switch box the other pc's are attached to.

If you decide to go this route then post back for more details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…